Happy Trails to You: 17 No-Fee Days at National Parks in 2011
If the fees at any of the National Parks is what keeps you from checking out their natural splendor, there are 17 days this year when that excuse just won't wash. The National Parks have announced the 17 fee-free days they'll offer this year, when they'll waive your entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees (third-party fees, however, cannot be waived).
Plan your visit for one or more of these days:
* January 15-17 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday weekend)
* April 16-24 (National Park Week)
* June 21 (First day of summer)
* September 24 (Public Lands Day)
* November 11-13 (Veterans Day weekend)
Parks close to home include Joshua Tree, Sequoia and Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley, Channel Islands, Mojave, Pinnacles, and Cabrillo. You can also search for Parks by state (here's California) or activity or name online.