This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Oh Man, There Are So Many Sea Otters!
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- There are more sea otters than ever since 1982, when their numbers were first recorded. In fact, researchers think the sea otter population is the highest ever in over 100 years.
- The Broad celebrated its one-year anniversary on Tuesday. Visitors were treated to cupcakes and party hats. Check out this video in which a bunch of people (like Cate Blanchett, Ed Ruscha, and students at 826 LA) wished the museum a happy birthday. Miranda July also sent her birthday wishes...possibly from an OB/GYN office?
- The American Automobile Association tells drivers to stop putting premium gas in their cars. Most of the cars we drive don't need it, and it's wasting $2.1 billion a year.
- Jared Leto is going to play Andy Warhol in a biopic. Trivia: David Bowie had also played Warhol in 1996's Basquiat.
- It turns out pigeons can (sorta) read. Wanna join my book club, you pigeons? We're reading the latest Franzen.
- A look back at William Faulkner and his penchant for wetting his whistle as he wrote.
- Thinking about getting the iPhone 7? Here are five reasons why you shouldn't. Yes, the headphone-jack issue is one of them.
- The Dodgers and the Giants got into a bit of a scrap last night. An irate Madison Bumgarner had apparently told Yasiel Puig, "Don't look at me." This, of course, led to another Puig-approved hashtag. Here's Scully with the call:
Vin Scully's description of the Puig-Bumgarner dust-up was more entertaining than the actual dust-up. pic.twitter.com/tU5LgiNc9I
— Jason Foster (@ByJasonFoster) September 20, 2016
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.