ICYMI: Oh Man, There Are So Many Sea Otters!
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- There are more sea otters than ever since 1982, when their numbers were first recorded. In fact, researchers think the sea otter population is the highest ever in over 100 years.
- The Broad celebrated its one-year anniversary on Tuesday. Visitors were treated to cupcakes and party hats. Check out this video in which a bunch of people (like Cate Blanchett, Ed Ruscha, and students at 826 LA) wished the museum a happy birthday. Miranda July also sent her birthday wishes...possibly from an OB/GYN office?
- The American Automobile Association tells drivers to stop putting premium gas in their cars. Most of the cars we drive don't need it, and it's wasting $2.1 billion a year.
- Jared Leto is going to play Andy Warhol in a biopic. Trivia: David Bowie had also played Warhol in 1996's Basquiat.
- It turns out pigeons can (sorta) read. Wanna join my book club, you pigeons? We're reading the latest Franzen.
- A look back at William Faulkner and his penchant for wetting his whistle as he wrote.
- Thinking about getting the iPhone 7? Here are five reasons why you shouldn't. Yes, the headphone-jack issue is one of them.
- The Dodgers and the Giants got into a bit of a scrap last night. An irate Madison Bumgarner had apparently told Yasiel Puig, "Don't look at me." This, of course, led to another Puig-approved hashtag. Here's Scully with the call: