Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

1931 Water Pipe Is The Culprit In Gusher That Again Flooded UCLA

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

A large tree had to be removed for workers to get to a broken water main under Sunset Boulevard near Royce Drive on Aug. 23, 2020. (Courtesy LADWP)

Repairs continued Monday after a water main break flooded Sunset Boulevard near UCLA, in an incident reminiscent of the watery mess that flooded the campus and ruined hundreds of cars six years ago.

The pipe break, on a stretch of Sunset Boulevard near Royce Drive, occurred early Sunday morning, shutting down the street for 12 hours. Officials did not know why the 30-inch water line built in 1931 broke.

Much of the water gushing out of the pipe was routed away from UCLA into storm drains that take the water to the ocean, but enough got onto the campus to flood the bottom floor of an underground parking garage with about three feet of water, said Breonia Lindsey, director of water distribution for the L.A. Department of Water and Power.

About ten cars were parked in the flooded area of the garage when the pipe broke in the early morning hours Sunday.

Some LADWP customers experienced lower water pressure but none were left without water service, Lindsey said.

Accessing the broken pipe was a challenge for crews. A tree’s roots had grown around the pipe, and a concrete culvert had been built on top, so the tree, roots, and part of a roadside wall had to be removed to get to the break. Repairs were expected to take another few days, Lindsey said.

Sponsored message

The 2014 incident happened on a different pipe, about 500 feet west of Sunday’s break. Then, a 90-year-old Y-shaped pipe joint with a bad weld dating from the 1950s broke open. It flooded the south end of the campus with 20 million gallons of water and filled the lower floor of an underground parking garage, ruining more than 700 cars. The floor of Pauley Pavilion, where the Bruins play basketball, had to be replaced, part of about $15 million in damage from the leak.

In 2015, the LADWP estimated its water system needed $12 to $15 billion in repairs and replacements to make it resilient from earthquakes and pipe breaks like this weekend’s. Higher new water rates took effect in 2016, and part of the increase is going to an accelerated program to upgrade the aging system.

The pipes in the system have about an 80-year life, but funding was in place to manage only about a 300-year replacement cycle back in 2015. With the higher water rates, that replacement cycle has been brought down to about 200 years, Lindsey said.

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today