Julia Barajas
explores how college students achieve their goals, whether they’re fresh out of high school, pursuing graduate work or looking to join the labor force through alternative pathways.
Published January 30, 2026 5:00 AM
The award-winning Cal Poly Universities Rose Float, "Jungle Jumpstart," during the January 2026 parade.
(
Courtesy
/
Cal Poly Pomona
)
Topline:
The Cal Poly Rose Float team, made up of students from Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, is accepting design submissions for next year’s Pasadena Rose Parade. Community members of all ages are encouraged to submit a float design—and they can make as many submissions as they’d like.
What you could win: The winner will see their work showcased for audiences around the world. They will also have the choice between two tickets to the 2027 parade or a $500 cash prize.
The deadline to enter is coming up! Community members must submit their entries to rosefloat@cpp.edu by Feb. 5 at 5 p.m.
Keep reading: To learn why the contest deadline is so early in the year.
The annual Pasadena Rose Parade took place less than a month ago, but at Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, students who are part of the cross-campus Rose Float team are already prepping for 2027.
Now through Feb. 5, the team is accepting design submissions for next year’s float. Community members of all ages are encouraged to apply—and they can make as many submissions as they’d like.
Over the next few months, a fleet of Cal Poly students will bring the winning design to life. The winner will see their work showcased for audiences around the world. They will also have the choice between two tickets to the 2027 parade or a $500 cash prize.
The Cal Poly float design contest is part of a decades-long tradition. Since 1949, students from both campuses have teamed up to create dozens of floats. Last year’s piece, titled “Jungle Jumpstart,” featured a 40-foot robot being tended to by animals as it lay on the rainforest floor.
Every part of the float is done by students, from the construction down to driving the float along Colorado Boulevard, said Allyson Jane Castillo, a mechanical engineering major at Cal Poly Pomona. She’s been part of the Rose Float team at her campus since her freshman year and now serves as its president.
Members of the Cal Poly Rose Float team weld the robot for the 2026 float.
(
Courtesy
/
Cal Poly Pomona
)
What happens after you submit?
Bennett Parisi, Castillo’s San Luis Obispo counterpart, is a graduate student in electrical engineering. He said that, each year, the team receives approximately 100 submissions.
But the work actually starts before the submission deadline. In December — before the year is even over, before they even finish the float — the team chooses student leaders from each campus for the following year.
Then, once they select the design in February, the students work on sourcing the materials they need and start building the bones of the float. In the fall, they get down to business to flesh it out.
It can take up to 300 students to bring each float to life, Parisi said. Every fall, students from his campus make a 200-mile trek to Cal Poly Pomona to work on the float on Saturdays. Then, a week before New Year’s Day, the entire fleet heads west to Pasadena, where they stay at a hotel while working on finishing touches.
Parisi joined the team as an undergrad, after being cooped up during the pandemic. He said the group has been a chance to build enduring ties with students from all walks of life at both campuses. Parisi grew up playing team sports, but, in his view, the Rose Float team’s camaraderie is unparalleled.
That’s fitting, because the theme of next year’s parade is “Welcome…celebrating the simple joy of belonging—that feeling that you’re always welcome, no matter who or where you are,” said Terry Madigan, president of the 2027 Tournament of Roses Association in a press statement. “It’s the warmth of family,” he added, “whether related or chosen, the love of good friends and the welcoming embrace of community.”
How to apply
Castillo and Parisi encourage applicants to create designs that align with the theme. They also emphasize that you don’t need to be a great artist to be competitive. Some of the entries they receive are drawn by children, Parisi said.
There is no limit to the number of entries an individual can submit, but these entries can only be submitted to the Cal Poly Rose Float Team.
Submissions can be in color or black and white, no larger than 11-by-17 inches.
Community members must submit their entries to rosefloat@cpp.edu by Feb. 5 at 5 p.m., with the subject line “2027 Concept.” The body of the email should include the applicant’s name, phone number and email address.
NASA chief blames Boeing, own agency for Starliner
By Brendan Byrne | NPR
Published February 19, 2026 6:58 PM
(
NASA
)
Topline:
NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman is blaming Boeing and his own agency for botching a test flight of the Starliner spacecraft, designed to take astronauts to and from the International Space Station.
What we know: A 311-page report details the issues that led to the failure of Starliner's first crewed test flight.
What Isaacman said: In a news conference today, Isaacman said the report classified the failure as a Type A Mishap — the highest classification for a mission failure. The Space Shuttle Challenger and Columbia accidents, along with the Apollo 1 fire, were also classified as a Type A Mishap.
NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman is blaming Boeing and his own agency for botching a test flight of the Starliner spacecraft, designed to take astronauts to and from the International Space Station.
A 311-page report details the issues that led to the failure of Starliner's first crewed test flight, which in June 2024 launched NASA astronauts Butch Willmore and Suni Williams to the International Space Station from Cape Canaveral Space Force station in Florida.
The duo's launch was initially a success — but as their Starliner spacecraft approached the station, multiple thrusters failed, hampering the crew's ability to steer toward the station and dock.
After months of deliberation, NASA and Boeing made the decision to send Starliner back to Earth without Wilmore and Williams on board. Instead, the astronauts remained on the space station and returned home 9 months later — in SpaceX's Crew Dragon capsule.
In a news conference Thursday, Isaacman said the report classified the failure as a Type A Mishap — the highest classification for a mission failure. The Space Shuttle Challenger and Columbia accidents, along with the Apollo 1 fire, were also classified as a Type A Mishap. While those accidents resulted in the deaths of crewmembers, the Starliner mission was "ultimately successful in preserving crew safety," according to the report.
The report identifies the thrusters as a key technical issue leading to the failure, although an investigation is still ongoing and a root cause has not yet been found.
"Starliner has design and engineering deficiencies that must be corrected," said Isaacman. "But the most troubling failure revealed by this investigation is not hardware. It's decision making and leadership that, if left unchecked, could create a culture incompatible with human spaceflight."
He said those organizational and leadership problems were seen at both Boeing and NASA, Isaacman's own agency.
The report identified an erosion of trust between the two organizations and leadership that was "overly risk-tolerant."
Isaacman said that the more than 30 launch attempts for this mission led to "cumulative schedule pressure and decision fatigue." When discussing whether to return Wilmore and WIlliams in Starliner, Isaacman said the "disagreements over crew return options deteriorated into unprofessional conduct while the crew remained on orbit."
Isaacman said there would be "leadership accountability," but didn't offer any details.
"These are very complex programs, and complex programs like this fail in complex ways," said Don Platt, department head of aerospace engineering, physics and space science at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, Florida. "Those organizational issues are oftentimes, maybe even more important than the technical problems that they're facing."
Such a public scolding of NASA and one of its contractors by its own leader is uncommon, says Platt, who worked on the construction of the space station.
"I think it's really setting the stage for sort of the new way that NASA plans to do business here in his administration," says Platt.
He says that could mean greater transparency and oversight over NASA's contractors
Despite NASA's plans to decommission the space station by the end of the decade, Isaacman says he is still committed to flying Starliner. That would leave NASA with two options, Boeing and SpaceX, to fly astronauts to the station — something SpaceX already does with regularity.
The report offered 61 formal recommendations ahead of the next crewed Starliner mission.
"We're grateful to NASA for its thorough investigation and the opportunity to contribute to it," Boeing said in an emailed statement. "We're working closely with NASA to ensure readiness for future Starliner missions and remain committed to NASA's vision for two commercial crew providers."
A supporter holds up his sign at a rally against layoffs outside of the Long Beach Unified offices before a board meeting in Long Beach, Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2025.
(
Thomas R. Cordova
/
Long Beach Post
)
Topline:
The Long Beach Unified Board of Trustees on Wednesday authorized the school district to end the employment of close to 600 employees, a move the LBUSD says is necessary to stabilize its ballooning deficit.
Why it matters: Though it is common for the district to choose not to renew some temporary contracts, the non-renewal of hundreds of TK-12 teachers, early childhood education teachers and social workers represents a massive change for the next school year from the current workforce of 10,000 total employees.
Read on... for more about the cuts and what it means to schools in the district.
The Long Beach Unified Board of Trustees on Wednesday authorized the school district to end the employment of close to 600 employees, a move the LBUSD says is necessary to stabilize its ballooning deficit.
Board members approved two separate resolutions, the first of which does not renew the contracts of 515 certificated employees, who are on temporary contracts that must be re-upped annually. Though it is common for the district to choose not to renew some temporary contracts, the non-renewal of hundreds of TK-12 teachers, early childhood education teachers and social workers represents a massive change for the next school year from the current workforce of 10,000 total employees. While schools across the district will feel the cuts, Poly and Jordan high schools may be especially hard hit; 14 and 12 teachers at each site are listed on the district’s document of non-renewals.
The second resolution authorized the district to formally lay off 54 classified district positions: non-teaching staff members ranging from office support staff to instructional and recreation aides to library media assistants to parent liaisons.
The board votes come after months of warnings from the district that costs and spending have outpaced the district’s funding, saddling LBUSD with a $70 million deficit. The district is now attempting to shrink that deficit through a fiscal stabilization plan that “has prioritized preserving core instructional, wellness, and student support services,” the district wrote in an agenda item related to the cuts.
Prior to the vote, Superintendent Jill Baker framed the proposed cuts with the historical context of significant enrollment declines, the expiration of funds following the Great Recession and COVID-19 pandemic that had allowed the district to develop a healthy reserve, uncertain federal and state dollars and low attendance numbers, for which the district is penalized — “a really grave situation, fiscally,” she said, one that many districts across California are grappling with.
Baker walked board members through the significant efforts the district has made to manage costs, saving more than $47 million, including through significant central office reductions. Despite these efforts, it’s still not enough, Baker said.
“The release of temporary certificated contracts is one way of reducing the number of employees without impacting permanent certificated employees,” the district wrote in the agenda item.
For those 515 certificated employees who will be notified that their contracts will end, it’s a way that “the district can get away with letting teachers go without calling it a layoff,” said Peder Larsen, vice president of the Teachers Association of Long Beach, which represents certificated employees in LBUSD.
Some of them could be rehired, especially if their positions are in high demand, like science, math and special education teachers, Larsen said. Yet, it throws hundreds into a tailspin of uncertainty and fear, unsure if their jobs have definitively ended and how long they will have health coverage, he added.
While he said the district has not officially announced that no permanent certificated employees will be cut (they have until March 15 to do so), he said he is “reading the tea leaves” and predicting those permanent positions will be safe this year.
In his comment to the board during public testimony, Larsen advocated for examining the money spent annually on consultants and contracts and urged the board and district to re-examine their priorities and “choose to protect the people who serve students every single day.”
On both votes, School Board Member Maria Isabel López was the lone vote against the resolutions, voicing her opinion that some of these positions could have been saved if fiscal priorities had been different and major contracts had not been approved.
Other board members acknowledged that the votes will change lives. “There’s not one of us in this room that takes this lightly,” said Board President Diana Craighead before voting in favor of the cuts. Board Member Doug Otto said he was voting to adopt the resolutions “sadly, reluctantly and necessarily.”
Keep up with LAist.
If you're enjoying this article, you'll love our daily newsletter, The LA Report. Each weekday, catch up on the 5 most pressing stories to start your morning in 3 minutes or less.
Robert Garrova
explores the weird and secret bits of SoCal that would excite even the most jaded Angelenos. He also covers mental health.
Published February 19, 2026 3:56 PM
A sign in screen for Roblox.
(
Oberon Copeland via Unsplash
)
Topline:
Los Angeles County says it’s filed a lawsuit against Roblox, the online gaming platform popular with children.
The complaint alleges the online environment has become a breeding ground for predators, among other claims.
What is Roblox? Roblox is a popular virtual world where players can make their own games and share them with other users. It markets to children and there are reportedly millions of users under the age of 13, according to the county.
The allegations: The lawsuit alleges that children in L.A. County have been “repeatedly exposed” to sexually explicit content and grooming on the platform. The complaint also claims that the company failed to put in place “effective moderation or age-verification systems.”
“This lawsuit highlights what happens when big tech companies put profits over children’s safety,” Scott Kuhn, assistant county counsel, told LAist.
Roblox response: In an emailed statement, a spokesperson for Roblox said they “strongly dispute the claims in this lawsuit and will defend against it vigorously.”
“We take swift action against anyone found to violate our safety rules and work closely with law enforcement to support investigations and help hold bad actors accountable,” the company added.
David Wagner
covers housing in Southern California, a place where the lack of affordable housing contributes to homelessness.
Published February 19, 2026 3:30 PM
A view of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) building in Washington, D.C., on Monday, March 30, 2020.
(
Graeme Sloan
/
Reuters
)
Topline:
California is home to 36% of the nation’s families with mixed immigration status receiving federal rent assistance. Those 7,190 California households are at risk of losing their housing now that the Trump administration is proposing to exclude mixed-status families from federal housing support.
The context: Undocumented immigrants are not eligible for federally funded programs such as Housing Choice Vouchers (also known as Section 8) or units in public housing projects. But citizens living with an undocumented spouse or parent have been allowed to receive such help. Nationwide, about 20,000 mixed-status families receive federal housing subsidies.
The change: The U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department released a long-awaited proposed rule change Thursday that would exclude mixed-status families from federal housing assistance. Researchers with UC Berkeley’s Terner Center for Housing Innovation note that Los Angeles is home to a disproportionate number of families who could be affected.
Why it matters: “If this rule were to go into effect, these families will just increase the number of folks that are facing housing insecurity or at risk of homelessness,” said Julie Aguilar, a Terner research analyst.
What local governments could do: In an analysis published Thursday, Terner researchers write that state and local governments could ease families through this transition by providing ongoing rental assistance, legal aid or one-time financial aid for moving costs of security deposits.