Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Stanley recalls about 2.6 million travel mugs

A white reusable beverage container with a black lid with the word "Stanley" written on it.
The Stanley Switchback mug, pictured, is part of a widespread recall of about 2.6 million Stanley products.
(
Consumer Product Safety Commission
)

Stanley is recalling about 2.6 million of its mugs due to a hiccup with the lids.

The lid threads on the Switchback and Trigger Action travel mugs could shrink if exposed to too much heat, which causes the lid to come off, "posing a burn hazard," the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Thursday.

Stanley has received 91 reports globally of the lids coming off, the safety commission said. As a result, 38 people were burned, 11 of whom had to receive medical attention.

The 12- and 16-ounce varieties of the Switchback mugs have been recalled, while the 12-,16- and 20-ounce varieties of the Trigger Action mugs have been recalled. They were priced between $20 and $50, and sold at major retailers like Amazon, Walmart and Target from June 2016 through this month.

More news

In a statement, Stanley said it was "committed to constant improvement" of its products and urged people who own the affected mugs to stop using them and contact the company for a free replacement lid.

The brand has previously caused in-store and online frenzies with their viral "Quencher" tumblers. 

Sponsored message

Copyright 2024 NPR. To see more, visit npr.org.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today