Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Port of Long Beach sets record volume for imports despite Trump era tariffs

Automatic cranes move containers. Other containers are stacked in the background of the photo.
Automatic cranes move containers at the Long Beach Container Terminal, one of the world's greenest terminals and the busiest at the Port of Long Beach, on Wednesday.
(
Allen J. Schaben
/
Los Angeles Times
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Listen 0:42
Port of Long Beach sets record volume for imports despite Trump era tariffs
Despite recent Trump administration tariffs and trade policies, the Port of Long Beach set a record high for container volumes over the past year. LAist's Yusra Farzan reports.

Despite recent Trump administration tariffs and trade policies, the Port of Long Beach set a record high for container volumes over the past year.

Noel Hacegaba, chief operating officer of the Port of Long Beach, said at the annual State of the Port address Thursday that the Long Beach port handled 9.9 million TEUs, or 9.9 million 20-foot equivalent containers.

“Along with our top imports like electronics, furniture and clothing came millions of Disney’s Ultimate Stitch interactive plush doll, the hottest toy from this past Christmas,” he said.

The port imported a record 4.8 million TEUs, Hacegaba said, as importers looked to get ahead of the tariffs. Export numbers were over 1 million TEUs, “not our highest ever, but still strong considering all the retaliatory tariffs imposed on U.S. exports,” Hacegaba said.

Trending on LAist

Changing trade patterns

The last year saw a global trade war after President Donald Trump imposed tariffs on nearly all imports — “the highest tariffs since the Great Depression” imposed on pretty much every U.S. trading partner, Hacegaba said. And while the tariffs did not affect overall container volumes, he said, they “reshape trade patterns.”

Sponsored message

Six years ago, he said, about 70% of cargo volume was tied to China. That has now dropped to 60% with more cargo coming in from Vietnam, Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries.

Outlook for 2026

Hacebaga said this year’s key economic indicators show “signs of uncertainty, with unemployment rates higher than they were last year and inflation trending down. Consumer spending showed some signs of slowing down as lower-income groups cut back on spending on nonessential goods.”

“The only certainty is more uncertainty,” he also said, adding that the port is still projecting another 9 million TEUs this year, “making it one of our top five busiest years ever.”

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today