Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

LA's New Coronavirus 'Curfew,' Explained

Los Angeles County Public Health director Barbara Ferrer. (Robyn Beck / AFP via Getty Images)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Public health officials are warning residents that L.A. County is now facing "one of the most dangerous moments" in the pandemic so far, and could return to a version of the March stay-at-home order if numbers worsen.

Starting this Friday, November 20, nonessential businesses like restaurants, breweries, and retail stores must close at 10 p.m. and adhere to new occupancy limits. They will be permitted to reopen at 6 a.m.

Public health department officials don't want to label the new restriction a 'curfew' because businesses will still be allowed to operate take-out and pick-up operations after 10 p.m. -- just no in-person outdoor dining.

If the county averages more than 4,500 cases in a five-day period, a number Ferrer says will strain our the local healthcare system -- or if hospitalizations surge to more than 2,000 patients, authorities will impose a three-week return to the Safer-At-Home policy we experienced back in March. In that case, a 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew would be mandated for everyone, except essential workers.

If the county averages more than 4,500 cases in a five-day period and hospitalizations reach 1,750 patients, all outdoor dining will temporarily shut down.

On Wednesday, the county reported nearly 4,000 (3,944 to be exact) new cases of COVID-19, the highest in a single day since July.

"We have taken action in the past, and we worked together, both early on in the pandemic and in the summer, and we've been successful in preventing transmission in our communities," L.A. County Public Health director Barbara Ferrer said at Wednesday's news conference. "We just have to get back to doing that work again."

Sponsored message

The county also confirmed 36 new deaths from COVID-19.

Ferrer said health officials are concerned that increased cases could overwhelm the healthcare system. The idea of immplementing a curfew now is to prevent that from happening, rather than implementing damage control when and if it's too late.

If you want a visual of current uptick in case numbers, the L.A. Times has a great web tracker, with easy to understand data visualizations.

FOR MORE DETAILS ON FRIDAY'S CURFEW:

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily newsletters. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today