Sponsor
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
KPCC Archive

State hearing to add a million patients to Medi-Cal set for Tuesday

California Assembly Speaker John Perez (D-LA)
California Assembly Speaker John Perez (D-LA) says the expansion of Medi-Cal "will be an absolute sea-change for healthcare delivery in California."
(
Julie Small/KPCC
)

With our free press under threat and federal funding for public media gone, your support matters more than ever. Help keep the LAist newsroom strong, become a monthly member or increase your support today.

State lawmakers hold their first hearing Tuesday on how to adopt federal healthcare reforms in California. One big change would add more people to Medi-Cal — the federally-funded healthcare program for low-income residents.  

Medi-Cal — California’s version of the federal government’s Medicaid program — provides care to eight million low-income residents.

Under the federal Affordable Care Act, California can choose to expand the program to another million people.  At Tuesday's hearing, Assembly Speaker John Perez will present his bill to make that happen.

“We think the notion of moving a million people into coverage is monumental,” Perez said when he introduced the bill last month. “That — paired with the implementation of the exchange — we think will be an absolute sea-change for healthcare delivery in California.”

Sponsor

California was the first state in the nation to pass legislation to create a healthcare exchange through which uninsured individuals who don’t qualify for Medi-Cal can purchase insurance.  

The exchange and the expanded Medi-Cal program are expected to provide healthcare coverage to 10 million Californians who currently lack insurance.
 
Speaker Perez’s bill to expand Medi-Cal would allow single people earning up to $15,400 dollars to qualify.

The federal government will pay the entire cost of the expansion for three years, at which point the state will have to assume some of the expense.  

More than two million people who earn too much to qualify for the expanded Medi-Cal would be eligible for federal subsidies to help pay for coverage offered through the state’s new healthcare exchange.

At LAist, we believe in journalism without censorship and the right of a free press to speak truth to those in power. Our hard-hitting watchdog reporting on local government, climate, and the ongoing housing and homelessness crisis is trustworthy, independent and freely accessible to everyone thanks to the support of readers like you.

But the game has changed: Congress voted to eliminate funding for public media across the country. Here at LAist that means a loss of $1.7 million in our budget every year. We want to assure you that despite growing threats to free press and free speech, LAist will remain a voice you know and trust. Speaking frankly, the amount of reader support we receive will help determine how strong of a newsroom we are going forward to cover the important news in our community.

We’re asking you to stand up for independent reporting that will not be silenced. With more individuals like you supporting this public service, we can continue to provide essential coverage for Southern Californians that you can’t find anywhere else. Become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission.

Thank you for your generous support and belief in the value of independent news.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Chip in now to fund your local journalism

A row of graphics payment types: Visa, MasterCard, Apple Pay and PayPal, and  below a lock with Secure Payment text to the right