Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Santa Monica shooting: Debra Fine tells her story of surviving being shot by John Zawahri

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Listen
Santa Monica shooting: Debra Fine tells her story of surviving being shot by John Zawahri

One of the first people to encounter Santa Monica shooting suspect John Zawahri was 49-year-old Debra Fine of Westwood Hills. She was lucky to survive. 

Fine was driving home on Friday from a singing lesson in Santa Monica. She decided to take a side street, because she figured traffic would be backed up due to President Obama’s visit.  Then she saw a man dressed in black holding an automatic rifle.  Fine initially thought the man was part of the President’s security team.

"And then he motioned the girl in front of me who was in a car, to pull over, and she did,” Fine recalled. “Then, he pointed the gun at her and she looked very frightened."

Fine grew upset because the woman had already cooperated.



"So I stepped on my gas, and I yelled at him to leave her alone, to stop," she said.

Fine said when the gunman turned to look at her, she knew something was wrong.

"Because his stare was very cold, very focused," she said.  "Like he was on a mission, and I was just in the way.  And the next thing I knew, he raised his rifle and he shot through my side of the window."

Sponsored message

The first bullet hit Fine in her left shoulder.  She said the gunman fired more rounds into the car, hitting her four times on her left side. 

"And I just kept thinking, 'stop,'" she said. "I was afraid that he was going to come back to the car and kill me so I laid very, very still on the passenger seat."

Fine could smell the smoke from Zawahri’s house that was burning nearby. She thought of her 15-year-old twins. But Zawahri did not come back to her car. He forced the woman in the other car to drive him towards Santa Monica College.  

Fine said she’s grateful to the neighbors who rushed out to help her.  She’s out of the hospital for now but says there’s still shrapnel in her body and she faces more surgeries.   



You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today