Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Pacoima home that housed 21 people damaged in fire

Firefighters outside a Pacoima home that was damaged in a fire Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015.
Firefighters outside a Pacoima home that was damaged in a fire Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015.
(
NBC L.A.
)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Los Angeles City Fire officials say 21 people are now looking for a place to stay after a fire damaged a home in Pacoima Saturday morning. L.A. City Fire spokesman Erik Scott says there were three families, including nine adults and 12 children, living in the small house.

City Fire battalion chief Rick Combs told KPCC media partner NBC4 that the home had recently been renovated and expanded to house multiple families. 
 
Scott says firefighters have been providing the residents with hot coffee and snacks. 

"And now we're going to bring them to a nearby fire station where they can stay warm awaiting the arrival of American Red Cross," Combs said.
 
He says the home, which he described as heavily damaged, did not have working smoke alarms. The department is investigating the cause of the fire.

A dog from the home that had been missing was all found, NBC4 reports.

This story has been updated.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today