Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Former LA County Sheriff Baca called 'heartbeat' of conspiracy in trial opening statements

L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca conducts an inspection of Men's Central Jail in Downtown Los Angeles in this photo from December 2011.
File: Leroy Baca, the former sheriff of Los Angeles County, is standing trial on corruption and obstruction of justice charges.
(
Grant Slater/KPCC
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Listen 0:49
Former LA County Sheriff Baca called 'heartbeat' of conspiracy in trial opening statements

The federal case against former L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca got underway Wednesday with prosecutors alleging Baca blocked the FBI's efforts to investigate the county jails for inmate abuse. 

In opening statements, prosecutor Brandon Fox told the jury Baca knew deputies were beating inmates in the jails, but had a "nothing to see here" attitude, and at one point, Baca asked the U.S. Attorney to back down and withdrawal subpoenas from "my goddamn jails." 

Baca is charged with conspiracy and obstruction of justice. Prosecutors allege that he was behind a move by sheriff's deputies to intimidate an FBI agent who was investigating the jails and hide an inmate who was serving as an FBI informant.

In opening statements, Baca's defense attorney Nathan Hochman countered that Baca was "open, transparent and direct" with federal officials and offered to partner with the U.S. Attorney in the investigation. 

Much of the opening statements focused on the role Baca played in the handling of Anthony Brown, who, while serving time for armed robbery, worked covertly with the FBI to help them uncover corruption in the jails.

The FBI arranged a sting, bribing a deputy to smuggle in a cell phone to Brown. In August 2011, other deputies discovered the cell phone in a potato chip bag in Brown's cell. After news traveled to Baca, Brown was then moved to another part of the jail that was monitored with cameras. He was moved again and guarded by two deputies. 

Prosecutors allege that Brown was moved intentionally to make it harder for the FBI to investigate corruption. The defense counters that Baca was shocked that the FBI smuggled in a cell phone and worried for Brown's safety, which could compromised if he became known as a snitch.

Sponsored message

The defense claims former L.A. County Undersheriff Paul Tanaka was responsible for thwarting the FBI by "operating his own agenda," and Baca was kept in the dark.

Hochman also detailed Baca's long career with the sheriff's department, noting that he served for 15 years, working 12-14 hour days, 6-7 days a week. They said this case focuses on just six weeks of his 2500-week career, and that the evidence accounts for only three hours of his time on the job. 

In a second trial, Baca will be tried for lying to federal agents during an interview. His defense attorneys intend to bring up his early onset Alzheimer's disease and argue his cognitive ability may have been in decline years earlier, affecting his statements.

Prosecutors offered Baca a plea deal for six months in jail.  He took it earlier this year. But, the deal was thrown out by U.S. District Judge Percy Anderson, who said the sentence was too lenient.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today