Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

4 arrested, 1 sought, in Hollywood party slaying

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Los Angeles police arrested four people and were seeking a fifth suspect in connection with a gang-related shooting at a Hollywood party that killed a man and wounded another.

Police announced Wednesday that three men and a woman, all from Compton, have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in the April 17 death of Lorenzo Smith. One other man is being sought.

A police statement says gang members argued with Smith and several drew guns and fired, killing the 22-year-old. Another man was seriously wounded in the 3 a.m. attack.

The arrests were made after authorities served nearly a dozen search warrants last week in Compton and Long Beach.

At a press conference announcing the arrests at the Hollywood Division station, Lorenzo Smith’s mother, Octavia Smith, said she was grateful to the cops who made the arrests.

“I’ll never forget him kissing me on my cheek that night,” said Octavia Smith, of the last time she saw her son alive. “Words cannot describe how I feel today."

Police identified the triggerman was Glen Austin Wagner, 26. The other suspects were identified as Miguel Estrada, 21; Brittnay Maria Jackson, 23; and Paul “Smiley” Benoit, 19.

Sponsored message

Police are searching for a fifth suspect, Kevin “Killa” White.

Estrada was charged with being an accessory after the fact. He was being held at the Los Angeles County Jail on $60,000 bail.

Wagner and Benoit were being held at the Los Angeles County Jail. Wagner’s bail was set at $2 million. Benoit’s bail was set at $1 million. Jackson was released on bond, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Inmate Information Center website. She was charged with being an accessory to murder and personal use of a gun.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today