This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Map: Our Statistically Accurate Guide To The Best Restaurants In Los Angeles
We love round-ups of the best restaurants in the city as much as the next blog, but these typically represent the viewpoint of only one outlet or even one critic. To create a three-dimensional view of the best restaurants in the city, whether old or new, data head Steven Melendez examined lists and reviews from the city's most respected sources for all things food. (This time we didn't take cost into account, so many of these restaurants are spendy!)
Here's how Melendez broke things down. One point each was awarded for:
- Zagat 2014 food score (a maximum of 30) divided by 15
- Jonathan Gold's list from 2013 and 2014
- Los Angeles Times 10 Places To Eat For Under $10
- Eater LA's 38 Essential Los Angeles Restaurants
- LA Weekly's Best of 2013 and
- LA Weekly's 99 Essential Restaurants for 2014 and 2013
- LA Weekly's Best of 2013
- Time Out Los Angeles' Best Restaurants and Best bang-for-your-buck meals for $20 or less
- The Thrillist 47
- Los Angeles Magazine's 10 Best New Restaurants for 2013 and 2012
- LAist's 10 Best Bites of 2013 and The Best Cheap Eats
- KCET's 14 Greatest Cheap Eats in Los Angeles
- Food & Wine's Best Los Angeles Restaurants
- Daily Candy's Best Restaurants in Los Angeles 2013
Below, is LAist's Statistically Accurate List of the Best Restaurants in Los Angeles with tips about why each eatery deserves a visit.