This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Win Tix to UCLA LIve: DV8 Physical Theatre
Lloyd Newson is bringing his radical DV8 Physical Theatre to UCLA for two shows this weekend. For those not familiar, Newson and his troupe create some of the most interesting dance performances out there today (check out these three amazing YouTube clips). This Friday and Saturday, they will bring the controversial “To Be Straight With You,” which explores tolerance, intolerance, religion and sexuality based on 85 interviews with the pious and apostate, straight and gay, activists, among others. It ultimately asks how modern society will reconcile faith and human rights.
With all that said, we're giving away 5 pairs of tickets to Friday night's performance (if you need to buy tickets now, you can here). To enter, leave a comment on this post sharing an ideal restaurant on the Westside to pair for an evening at UCLA Live. Maybe a visit nearby Little Osaka along Sawtelle for some ramen or some yummy ice cream sandwiches at Diddy Riese Cookies. There's plenty of choices on the Westside, so go at it!
Full details on how to enter the contest are below.
- Enter the contest by making a comment on this post. Comments must fit the criteria, stated below.
- The criteria of the comment is that you share a Westside restaurant or eatery that you would go to before or after a UCLA LIve performance.
- Only one entry per person allowed.
- Comments will be accepted through Thursday, November 5th, 12:00:00 p.m.
- Five qualifying comments will be chosen at random and the winners will be notified via the e-mail connected to their LAist.com login. Winners must confirm the receipt of the e-mail by 10:00:00 p.m., Thursday, November 5th, 2009 or the tickets will be released to another winner.
- A pair of tickets will be held at will call
Good luck and enjoy the show!
But Yeoh is the first to publicly identify as Asian. We take a look at Oberon's complicated path in Hollywood.
His latest solo exhibition is titled “Flutterluster,” showing at Los Angeles gallery Matter Studio. It features large works that incorporate what Huss describes as a “fluttering line” that he’s been playing with ever since he was a child — going on 50 years.
It's set to open by mid-to-late February.
The new Orange County Museum of Art opens its doors to the public on Oct. 8.
Comic-Con Is Live And In-Person Again And Yes, That Means Cosplayers Are Back. Why They're So ExcitedCosplayers will be holding court once again and taking photos with onlookers at the con.
Sacheen Littlefeather Talks About What Really Happened Before, During And After Rejecting Marlon Brando’s OscarLittlefeather recalls an “incensed” John Wayne having to be restrained from assaulting her and being threatened with arrest if she read the long speech Brando sent with her.