TV Junkie: Interviews from the 'Boardwalk Empire' Premiere
On Wednesday we went to the premiere of HBO's new series, "Boardwalk Empire" at the Ziegfeld Theatre in Manhattan. We spoke with plenty of people associated with the show as well as several who have worked with HBO in the past ("True Blood", "Entourage", "The Sopranos", "John Adams"). "Boardwalk Empire" does deliver on the hype - it's beautifully shot on amazing sets with great performances set to exceptional writing.
Steve Buscemi makes an excellent crook-politician in his portrayal of Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, King of Atlantic City and he looks the part of the Roaring '20s schemer, what with his Peter Lorre-esque eyes and thinning combover. For all the gorgeous sets and costumes, it's important to realize that these empires were built on the family relationships and strategic alliances. The ones to keep the closest eye on are the relationships between "Nucky" and his brother Sheriff "Eli" Thompson (played by Shea Whigham), "Nucky" and the young lion James "Jimmy" Darmody played by Michael Pitt, and the appearances of interlopers such as young versions of Al Capone, "Lucky" Luciano (played by Vincent Piazza), and Arnold Rothstein (played by Michael Stuhlbarg).
This is a winner from the likes of Terence Winter, Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, and Stephen Levinson. For people that were announcing that the 2011 Emmy for drama should already be handed over to "Mad Men" because of the Don Draper/Peggy Olson episode a couple weeks back will need to reassess that premature judgement. "Boardwalk Empire" has the star power and lavish production to seal the deal with the Academy. The show premieres on Sunday at 8pm/9pm on HBO, depending upon which channel you watch.
Please check out our interviews with:
- Shea Whigham aka Sheriff Elias "Eli" Thompson in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Vincent Piazza aka "Lucky" Luciano in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Greg Antonacci aka Johnny Torrio in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Denis O'Hare aka Russell Edgington aka The King of Mississippi in "True Blood"
- Paul Sparks aka Mickey Doyl in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Adrian Grenier aka Vincent Chase in "Entourage"
- Kelly MacDonald aka Margaret Schroeder in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Tony Sirico aka Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri in "The Sopranos"
- Michael Kenneth Williams aka Chalky White in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Joe Manganiello aka Alcide Herveaux the werewolf in "True Blood"
- Anthony Laciura aka Eddie Kessler, driver/secretary/etc. to Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, in "Boardwalk Empire"
- Tom Hooper, director of "John Adams" and "Elizabeth I"
- Adam Mucci aka Deputy Halloran in "Boardwalk Empire".
Shea Whigham plays Sheriff Elias "Eli" Thompson in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire [Photo by Thomas Attila Lewis]"