Extra Extra: Why SoCal Folks Say 'The' In Their Freeway Names
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.
- This cool literary map shows the location of 42 great classic novels, including The Sound and the Fury, The Color Purple and The Shining. L.A. area novels include The Day of the Locust and The Big Sleep.
- Disney has scrapped plans for a live-action Aladdin prequel due to Robin Williams' will, which forbids Disney from using any of the late comedian's outtakes in any way for 25 years.
- Ever wonder why SoCal folks always say "the 101" and "the 405" instead of just "101 South" like they do in other parts of the country? Here's why.
- Jem and the Holograms made it a whole two weeks before being pulled from theaters by Universal.
- Country star Jason Aldean admitted that he donned blackface and dreadlocks to be Lil Wayne for Halloween this year. Sigh.
- Here's the first teaser trailer for Finding Nemo sequel Finding Dory.
- A very enthusiastic new dad took a frame-worthy selfie while his wife birthed their daughter.
- Broadly revisits the Trick-Or-Treat murder, a notorious crime that happened in Sun Valley in 1957.
- And finally, this video shows that big cats love to play with boxes, too.