This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Mood Music: Classical Music Playlist for Halloween
If you're looking for some Classical music to set the mood for your festive evenings, here are a few Halloween-y pieces. The clip above is the Ave Santani theme from the film the Omen by Jerry Goldsmith.
Click on the titles listed after the jump to listen to more. Happy Halloween!
- Mussorgsky: Songs and Dances of Death
- Franz Liszt: Totentanz
- Saint-Saens: Danse Macabre
- Penderecki: Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
- Sergei Rachmaniniff: Isle of the Dead
- Bela Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celeste (III. Adagio)
- Shostakovich: String Quartet No. 8 in C Minor
- Anton Webern: Variations Op. 27
- Mussorgsky: Night on Bald Mountain
- Hector Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique (March to the Scaffold)
- Johannes Brahms: Begraebnisgesang
- Frederic Chopin: Sonata No. 2 Op. 35(Funeral March)
- Prokofiev: Suggestion Diabolique
- Tartini: Sonata in G Minor (Devil's Trill)
- Stravinsky: Histoire du Soldat (Danse du Diable)
- Gyorgy Ligeti: L'escalier du Diable (Devil's Staircase)
- Alexander Scriabin: "Black Mass" Sonata, Op. 68
- Stravinsky: Firebird Suite (Infernal Dance)
- Charles Gounod: Funeral March of A Marionette
- Bach: Toccata and Fugue for organ in D Minor
- Dukas: The Sorceror's Apprentice