ICYMI: An Old Santa Monica Hotel's Dark History
(via ruffcutzdtla's Instagram—tag #LAist if you want to see your photo featured here)
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- A look back at the Hotel Arcadia, Santa Monica’s first high-end beach hotel, where there was at least one attempted murder.
- There are only really six different emotional arcs in stories, says data mining science.
- It's pretty easy to imagine Taylor Swift directing everyone on where to stand and how to pose at her parties.
- Beyoncé urged fans to take political action following the shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile.
- Kara Brown wrote a powerful essay for Jezebel: "Am I Going To Write About Murdered Black People Forever?"
- A creepy-sounding unreleased Sufjan Stevens album was discovered in a dumpster.
- And now, meet an adorable skunk family in Echo Park: