Janice Dickinson Can Move Forward In Lawsuit Against Bill Cosby, Judge Rules
A judge ruled Tuesday that Janice Dickinson can move with forward with her defamation lawsuit against Bill Cosby. Dickinson alleges that Cosby, through his attorney, defamed her by issuing a press statement calling her a liar after she publicly accused Cosby of drugging and raping her in 1982, according to a statement from Dickinson’s lawyer, Lisa Bloom.
A jury can decide the credibility of Dickinson's allegations and whether a statement by Cosby's former lawyer branding her a liar was defamatory, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Debre Katz Weintraub said, according to the LA Times.
Dickinson V. Cosby still must be fought out in court, but Team Dickinson is hailing today’s ruling as a victory. Bloom issued a celebratory tweet soon after the hearing:
VICTORY. Court rules we go to trial against Bill Cosby. Huge win for my client Janice Dickinson. Thanks to my hardworking Bloom Firm team!— Lisa Bloom (@LisaBloom) March 29, 2016
Cosby’s counsel has also issued a statement, writing that “the Court granted Mr. Cosby’s motion in part and struck half the bases upon which plaintiff filed her lawsuit. We believe the remainder of the lawsuit should be dismissed as well and will be considering Mr. Cosby’s options on appeal.”
"I want Bill Cosby in court," Dickinson told the LA Times after the ruling. "I want him to stand under oath."
Dickinson also made headlines Monday when she revealed that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer in an interview with the Daily Mail. The non-invasive cancer is treatable and the survival rates are high, according to the Daily Mail.