Cinefamily Will Be Bringing Outdoor Movie Screenings To Barnsdall Art Park
As the lines getting into Hollywood Forever on a Saturday night will tell you, Angelenos love to watch movies under the stars. As fun as it is, seeing a movie outdoors has its drawbacks, one of which is the fairly predictable lineup you'll expect to see each summer.At some point, we get tired of seeing Jaws, Back To The Future or Ferris Bueller's Day Off over and over again. It's time to bring some culture back to the outdoor screening! Make Outdoor Screenings Great Again!
Cinefamily has partnered with the Barnsdall Art Park Foundation starting this Labor Day weekend with Cinefamily Everywhere, bringing movies to the west lawn of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Hollyhock House. Each night starts with a picnic and wine tasting courtesy of some of L.A.'s finest food trucks" and a selection of wines picked by San Antonio Winery, and may also include live music before the screening. The movies start at sundown.
Proceeds from the events go towards Barnsdall Art Park.
Check out the schedule below (all events start at 5:30 p.m., are 21+ and tickets are $25):
- September 4: Bowie Tribute Night with a screening of D.A. Pennebaker's 1973 concert film Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars. Pre-show includes a video mixtape of Bowie rarities curated by Cinefamily.
- September 11: A "Jules et Jim" Picnic, featuring a screening of Francois Truffaut's New Wave classic Jules and Jim, and live music from John Herndon and Jeff Parker of the post-rock band Tortoise and a French pop DJ set from Decadanse Soirée.
- September 18: An Evening of EXPANDED Cinema on 16mm, with "experimental, exploratory, and psychedelic" films from the likes of Jordan Belson, John Whitney, Pat O’Neill and more. Lineup TBA, though we hope Chris Marker's extraordinary La jetée is part of the program, as teased by the website.
- September 25: A Tribute to Carlinhos Pandeiro de Ouro, featuring a screening of Marcel Camus' Black Orpheus. Carlinhos is of one of Brazil's foremost samba musicians, and also starred in Black Orpheus as a child. Carlinhos intro the film and be paid tribute with a musical jam led by Thalma De Freitus.
- October 2: 'Fellini Satyricon' Food Orgy, featuring Federico Fellini's 1969 adaptation of Satyricon, with a pre-film feast.
For more information and to purchase tickets, go to Cinefamily's website. Barnsdall Art Park is located at 4800 Hollywood Blvd. in Little Armenia.