Husband Of Kobe Crash Victim Dedicates A Song To His Late Wife
Today marks three months since a helicopter crash took the lives of Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven others.
Among the lost was Mamba Academy coach Christina Mauser. Her husband, Matt Mauser, leads the Orange County band Tijuana Dogs. He also plays standards and had been scheduled to play a big band tribute to Frank Sinatra the night of the fatal crash.
In an interview with NBC4, Mauser said that social distancing has taken away his community of support.
“When you lose your mother of your children and your wife in an instant like that, it kind of puts things in perspective. And being alone has been really hard.”
“Broken pieces left on the ground… hmmmm, lost.”
Mauser encourages people also grieving in isolation to reach out to others in need. He says helping others is a way to help yourself.
His family is among two to file lawsuits last week against Island Express Helicopter, Inc. and its owner, Island Express Holding Corp., on the grounds that the companies were negligent and careless.
Vanessa Bryant filed a lawsuit in February against the helicopter company on the same day of the public memorial service for her husband and daughter at Staples Center.
- What We Know About The 9 People Who Died In The Helicopter Crash That Killed Kobe (LAist)
- Huntington Beach unites to remember wife, mother and coach Christina Mauser (OC Register)
ASK FOR HELP
- Steinberg Institute website, links to mental health resources and care throughout California,
- Institute on Aging's 24/7 Friendship Line (especially for people who have disabilities or are over 60), 1-800-971-0016 or call 415-750-4138 to volunteer.
- Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, 24/7 Access Line 1-800-854-7771, links to COVID-19 information.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-8255 (TALK)
- The Crisis Text Line, Text "HOME" (741-741) to reach a trained crisis counselor.
- California Psychological Association Find a Psychologist Locator>>
- Psychology Today guide to therapists>>