Wind-Driven Cave Fire Explodes In Santa Barbara
A fire that broke out in the late afternoon Monday in the hills north of Foothill Road in Santa Barbara quickly spread to more than two thousand acres, as authorities scrambled to expand mandatory evacuation orders.
The Cave Fire was first reported shortly after 4 p.m. as a vegetation fire on E. Camino Cielo near Painted Cave. The first evacuation orders were issued when the fire was still small -- about 15 acres -- when authorities at the scene reported it as a wind-driven fire making its way "down canyon."
Local media reports quoted fire officials saying the fire had burned more than 3,100 acres, with zero containment, as of 9:30 p.m.
The fire started just days ahead of forecasts of heavy rains in much of Southern California.
Here are some resources for the most current information:
- Santa Barbara County Fire's public information Twitter >>
- Santa Barbara Sheriff's official Twitter account >>
- Santa Barbara County's official Twitter account >>
Evacuation orders have been changing quickly with this fire. See real-time evacuation maps here >>
Our friends at the Los Angeles Times also have an updating map of the Cave Fire >>
- Goleta Valley Community Center 5679 Hollister Road, Goleta :
- Hotline: 805-681-4332
- Small Animals: Goleta Animal Shelter, 5473 Overpass Rd., Goleta
- Large Animals: Earl Warren Showgrounds, 3400 Calle Real, Santa Barbara
SCENES ON THE GROUND
HOW WE'RE REPORTING ON THIS
This is a developing story. We will have reporters at the scene of the fire Tuesday starting at 6 a.m. with Jacob Margolis and followed by Sharon McNary later in the morning. In addition, KPCC producers for Morning Edition will be reporting from the station.
- Every Day Is Fire Season. Here's How Angelenos Can Prepare Right Now
- How To Find Out About Fire Evacuations In Your Area
- How To Keep Yourself Safe From Wildfire Smoke
- The Air Is Brown -- Should I Wear A Mask?
- This Is Why Fire Officials Don't Want You To Stay And Defend Your Home
- What Does 'Containment' Of A Fire Mean, Exactly?
- What Does A 'Red Flag Warning' Mean, Exactly?
- What To Do -- And Not Do -- When You Get Home After A Wildfire
- How To Avoid Getting Towed During LA's Red Flag Parking Restrictions
- If You Want To Help Fire Victims, Resist The Urge To Volunteer
This story originally published at 9:15 p.m.
YOUR QUESTIONS OR IDEAS