Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
Arts & Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein Indicted In LA, But Extradition From NY Is Uncertain

Harvey Weinstein during his Feb. 2020 rape trial in New York.
Harvey Weinstein during his Feb. 2020 rape trial in New York.
(
John Minchillo
/
AP
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Harvey Weinstein is currently serving 23 years in New York for two felony sex crimes, which his lawyer calls “a death sentence.” Prosecutors in Los Angeles now want to extradite him so he can be tried for 11 other alleged felony sex crimes.

Weinstein, 67, was indicted Monday by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office as part of an attempt to bring him from his cell in upstate New York to California.

The indictment focuses on crimes the Miramax co-founder allegedly committed against five women between 2004 and 2013. He faces four counts of forcible rape, four counts of forcible oral copulation, two counts of sexual battery and one count of sexual penetration by force.

The new indictment mirrors charges that were first filed in Los Angeles last October.

Now the issue is whether — and when — Weinstein can be extradited. The former movie executive is currently in a maximum security facility near Buffalo. He was sentenced in March 2020, and last week appealed his conviction.

During a hearing on Monday, Weinstein appeared from the Wende Correctional Facility. One of his lawyers, Norman Effman, said the extradition request was flawed and urged a judge to keep Weinstein in New York, saying his client is losing his eyesight and teeth.

Following the hearing, Erie County D.A. John Flynn said Weinstein is trying to postpone the inevitable.

Sponsored message

“Obviously it’s a stalling technique,” Flynn said. “He wants to keep his guy here as long as possible, and prevent him from going to California to face what he’s accused of out there.”

The judge postponed a ruling until at least the end of the month. Regarding the new charges, another Weinstein lawyer, Mark Werksman, said there is no credible evidence against him. In a statement, he said the charges were “stale, unsubstantiated, uncorroborated, uncredible allegations that arose during the hysteria of the #MeToo movement.”

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today