Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

The Brief

The most important stories for you to know today
  • LAPD will hire 410 new recruits this year
    A group of officers stand guard outside a stone building with the words "City Hall" displayed.
    LAPD officers stand guard outside City Hall following a dispersal order after a day of mostly peaceful protests June 14, 2025.

    Topline:

    The Los Angeles City Council has approved plans to hire more police officers this year, ending a months-long struggle over the city budget with the mayor's office.

    The details: The vote this week will allow LAPD to hire 410 officers, up from the 240 included in the city's original budget for this fiscal year.

    Why now: L.A. Mayor Karen Bass had pushed for the additional hires, citing the coming World Cup and Olympic Games, while some City Council members questioned where the money would come from.

    How will the city pay: The council approved the additional hires only after City Administrative Officer Matthew Szabo found that the funds could come from the police department rather than the city's general fund. But the funds identified by the city administrative officer will only cover the new hires this fiscal year.

    Read on ... for more on the City Council vote, including dissent from Hugo Soto-Martinez and others.

    The Los Angeles City Council has approved plans to hire more police officers this year, ending a months-long struggle over the city budget with the mayor's office.

    The vote this week will allow LAPD to hire 410 officers, up from the 240 included in the city's original budget for this fiscal year.

    L.A. Mayor Karen Bass had pushed for the additional hires, citing the coming World Cup and Olympic Games, while some councilmembers questioned where the money would come from.

    In December, the City Council voted to allow for an additional 40 officers to be added to the force, using the city's general fund.

    This week's vote got Bass the rest of the way there. It will bring LAPD's ranks to around 8,500 sworn officers. At its height in 2009, the police force had more than 10,000.

    It's a victory for Bass' office, but she said in a statement that hiring still is not keeping up with attrition.

    "Although this is an important step, there is more work to do to invest in the safety of Angelenos,” Bass said.

    The council approved the additional hires only after City Administrative Officer Matthew Szabo found that the funds could come from the police department rather than the city's general fund.

    In a report submitted to the council last week, Szabo identified around $3 million in funds from LAPD savings and a projected surplus in an account used to pay officers their accumulated overtime when they retire.

    Councilmember Monica Rodriguez called the move "robbing Peter to pay Paul." Councilmember Tim McOsker called it "robbing Peter to pay Peter." They both supported the motion.

    But the funds identified by the city administrative officer will only cover the new hires this fiscal year. In his report, Szabo estimated that adding 170 more recruits to LAPD and resources in the personnel department to support them would cost around $25 million in the next fiscal year. He suggested his office could identify potential police department budget reductions or general fund revenues in next year's budget cycle to continue funding the new officers.

    Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky, who heads the budget and finance committee, voted for the plan to add new hires. She said Wednesday that most councilmembers were supportive of increasing the ranks of sworn officers but expressed dissatisfaction with the process that led to this move.

    "I would have preferred that this issue of these additional officers that weren't in the budget that was adopted and signed by the mayor was addressed in the next budget," Yaroslavsky said. "But that being said, here we are."

    Councilmember Hugo Soto-Martinez was not convinced. He told the council he thought the ongoing cost of additional hires likely would lead to cuts elsewhere.

    "A budget is a document of our priorities," Soto-Martinez said. "And it just feels like every single time, LAPD gets what they want. Every single time. And the conversations that are not happening in the public is about how that affects other things that the city does."

    He voted against the extra hires, along with councilmembers Eunisses Hernandez, Ysabel Jurado and Nithya Raman.

    Soto-Martinez, who sits on the public safety committee, also said he wanted more transparency on police spending on costs like overtime. He said every quarter the city spends $50 million on police overtime.

    Soto-Martinez and Hernandez introduced a motion instructing the city administrative officer and legislative analyst to transfer some LAPD auditing and accounting into a new bureau of police oversight within the city controller's office. That motion was referred to the personnel and hiring committee.

    Police Chief Jim McDonnell pushed back against that idea Wednesday, saying it would take additional personnel away from the department.

    "We're working on a skeleton crew," he said. "We're two years out from the Olympics, five months out from the World Cup, and we've got a deficit [of officers]."

    The vote came after LAPD requested nearly $100 million in its proposed budget for next fiscal year for new vehicles and equipment to police the Olympic Games.

  • Former gun store to become affordable housing
    A side picture of a white building in daylight and painted on the building are the words Knives, collectibles, we buy guns in brown.
    The former Martin B. Retting gun store stands less than 1,000 feet from La Ballona Elementary.

    Topline:

    The Culver City Council recently voted to turn the former Martin B. Retting gun store on Washington Boulevard into affordable housing. It’s the end result of community organizing that started a couple of years ago to prevent another gun store from moving in next to an elementary school.

    Listen 0:41
    Culver City to turn former gun store into affordable housing for the community

    The backstory: In 2023, the Culver City Council voted to buy the store after a group of parents stepped in. The space is less than 1,000 feet from La Ballona Elementary School. It’s also close to a mosque, a senior living facility and Teffelson Park.

    After the council bought the property, the city asked for the public to submit ideas on what to do with it. Popular options included turning the space into affordable housing and an art studio/school. The council then directed staff to put out a request for project proposals that would include housing and a community space.

    Why now: The council voted Jan. 26 in favor of the West Hollywood Community Housing Corporation’s proposal, which is a 67-unit affordable housing complex with a preference for local teachers and a ground-level art center.

    Reaction from the community: Megan Oddsen and Melody Hansen are members of Culver 878, who originally championed the idea for the city to buy the gun store. In a statement, the group said: “We're really just as happy today seeing what the council has voted to do with the property as we were on the day they voted to purchase it. It's no longer a gun store and we remain most thankful for that.”

    Oddsen added: “ I'm just really grateful that we have a city council that is moved by activism and can come together on a lot of the most important issues right now.”

    Culver City Councilmember Bubba Fish points to Attorney General Pam Bondi’s recent remarks at a congressional hearing calling out the crime rates in the city and says that in a way, those remarks ignited a celebration of the city among community members.

    “ What people feel here, which is a real sense of community and a sense of safety, and it is in no small part because of the planning decisions that we make,” Fish said. “ This council has prioritized affordable housing above a lot of other things that we could be spending our money on. And that's because we recognize these are the things that truly make us safe.”

    What’s next: 2029 is the target for project completion.

  • Sponsored message
  • Company boosts some compensation
    power lines in mountains
    Southern California Edison transmission towers overlook Eaton Canyon last year.

    Topline:

    Southern California Edison announced this week that it’s updating its payout program for Eaton Fire survivors. Those who accept payments must waive their rights to sue the company over the fire.

    The details: The company says it will increase legal fee compensation for those who use an attorney to submit their claim to 20% of net damages, up from 10%. Renters will also receive either three months of their pre-fire rent or the “monthly fair rental value” — as calculated by Edison’s protocol (see page 18) — whichever is higher. Originally the offer included only three months of pre-fire rent for tenants. You can find updated sample offers here.

    Applied retroactively: A spokesperson for Edison said these changes will be applied retroactively. That means anyone who has a claim under review, an offer extended, or who has already accepted and received their payout should be contacted by an Edison rep this week about accounting for these changes.

    Survivors react: Andrew Wessels, a member of the Eaton Fire Survivors Network from West Altadena, called the changes “cosmetic” and said they don’t go far enough in providing desperately needed financial support for survivors. Wessels said Edison’s calculation for the monthly fair rental value “drastically undervalues actual rents.” The company's calculation for a home with a pre-fire value of $1.2 million, for example, sets a fair monthly rental value of $3,333 per month.

    Wessels pointed to his group’s extensive blueprint for how Edison could better support fire survivors — which is endorsed by more than 200 local nonprofits and provides recommendations for addressing the escalating housing needs of survivors as their temporary housing insurance runs out this year. “We're at a loss as to why Edison continues to tell the community what it needs rather than listening to what we have to say,” Wessels said.

    Where claims stand now: The company says that as of Feb. 18, 2,405 claims have been submitted, 593 offers totaling more than $183 million have been extended, and 86 claims have been paid out or are in process, totaling $18 million.

    Go deeper: 

  • LAPD warns of them as school walkouts continue
    A large crowd of students, some holding signs and flags, walk down a street.
    Hundreds of students gather in downtown LA as they march from City Hall toward the Metropolitan Detention Center on Wednesday, Feb. 4, 2026.

    Topline:

    At least six people have been arrested in connection with student walkouts this month protesting immigration raids, as local and federal authorities warn of potential legal consequences ahead of additional demonstrations.

    LAPD statement: In a Feb. 16 statement, the LAPD states it’s unlawful for minors under 18 to be in public places, streets, or amusement spots during school hours. Exceptions include emergencies or being with a parent. The department cited state education code requiring that children between the ages of 6 and 18 “must attend a full-time public day school for the full designated day.”

    ACLU responds: Peter Eliasberg, chief counsel and First Amendment Rights attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, called Bill Essayli's, the first assistant U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, comments “disgusting.” “To be posting and suggesting that they are criminals, on Twitter or X, is just completely inconsistent with the kind of protections that juveniles are supposed to have in the criminal justice system,” Eliasberg said.

    Read on... for more about the local and federal authorities' warning.

    At least six people have been arrested in connection with student walkouts this month protesting immigration raids, as local and federal authorities warn of potential legal consequences ahead of additional demonstrations.

    Five people were arrested on suspicion of felony vandalism and one on suspicion of battery on a police officer during the week of Feb. 2, according to Los Angeles Police Det. Meghan Aguilar. For several days that week, thousands of LAUSD students walked out and marched to downtown LA to protest U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE. The LAPD didn’t respond to questions about whether those arrested were minors or adults.

    In a Feb. 16 statement, the LAPD states it’s unlawful for minors under 18 to be in public places, streets, or amusement spots during school hours. Exceptions include emergencies or being with a parent. The department cited state education code requiring that children between the ages of 6 and 18 “must attend a full-time public day school for the full designated day.”

    Legal consequences for violating daytime curfew are a possibility, LAPD said.

    In the statement, the LAPD warns that any adult “who collects or picks up a child and transports them to participate in any illegal activities may be responsible for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor and is subject to arrest and prosecution.”

    “This law applies to actions like providing drugs/alcohol to minors, promoting truancy, and for parents failing to exercise reasonable supervision,” the LAPD continues.

    The warning follows clashes at recent student demonstrations that, according to the LA Times, injured three federal agents.

    A day later, Bill Essayli, the first assistant U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California, condemned the walkouts in a post on X, saying, “The only thing they will accomplish is ensuring violent agitators will be criminally prosecuted, juveniles included.”Essayli also posted photos of youth he said were sought in connection with a “violent attack on [Federal Protective Service] at our downtown Los Angeles property.”

    In a statement, LAUSD said it “supports the rights of our students to express themselves and to advocate for causes that are important to them. Civic engagement is a vital part of education in a democracy.”

    However, it added, “our foremost responsibility is student safety. Schools remain the safest place for students during the instructional day, and we are concerned about the potential risks associated with off-campus demonstrations.”

    LAUSD did not specifically comment on the statements from Essayli and LAPD.

    Peter Eliasberg, chief counsel and First Amendment Rights attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California, called Essayli’s comments “disgusting.”

    “To be posting and suggesting that they are criminals, on Twitter or X, is just completely inconsistent with the kind of protections that juveniles are supposed to have in the criminal justice system,” Eliasberg said.

    Eliasberg found it “revolting” that Essayli is choosing to go after juveniles at a time when there have been cases of Department of Homeland Security agents “using lethal force, shooting people in the head with tear gas canisters and other weapons.”

    While schools can enforce truancy rules, Eliasberg said, “bringing students into the criminal justice system is not to anyone’s benefit.”

    “All it will do [is] actually cause kids to have to miss more school while they deal with criminal charges,” Eliasberg said.

    Eliasberg said schools cannot punish students for missing class to engage in political protest more harshly than they would for skipping school for any other purpose.

    For example, a student can serve detention for being away from school to attend the protest if that is how the school typically deals with unexcused absences, according to the ACLU’s “My School My Rights” website.

    “Turning this kind of thing into a criminal matter is just a real misuse of the criminal system,” Eliasberg said.

  • Expanded voting, infrastructure plan recommended
    A tall white building, Los Angeles City Hall, is poking out into a clear blue sky. A person walking on the sidewalk in front of the building is silhouetted by shadows.
    A pedestrian is walking past City Hall in Los Angeles Tuesday, July 8, 2025.

    Topline:

    L.A.’s Charter Reform Commission on Wednesday recommended 16-year-olds and noncitizens be able to vote in municipal elections. They are among the first — and least controversial, commissioners say — proposed changes to the city charter that voters may see on their ballots in November.

    Some background on the commission: First approved in July 2024 after a series of scandals at City Hall, the Charter Reform Commission was tasked with suggesting changes to the city charter — a foundational city document, similar to a constitution. The commission had a slow start, facing a number of challenges, and is now pressed to finalize its recommendations on some of the city’s most consequential issues with less than two months left.

    What else is moving forward: Recommendations to require a multi-year capital infrastructure plan, remove limits on building height, simplify the process for candidates to get on the ballot for municipal elections, and allow the Recreation and Parks Department to sell land that can't be used as a city park.

    Not on the ballot yet: There is still a lengthy process before Angeleos can vote on any of the commission’s recommendations, which need to be written in official charter language and passed again by the commission before being sent to the City Council for approval.

    What else may be coming:  Commission Chair Raymond Meza said Wednesday’s vote was a big step forward, and votes will be moving faster in the coming weeks. Here are a few significant recommendations the commission is expected to vote on soon:

    • Expand the City Council from 15 to 23 seats
    • Adopt a ranked choice voting system
    • Separate the role of the City Attorney into an appointed city attorney and an elected city prosecutor
    • Strengthen campaign finance laws and anti-corruption measures
    • Establish a process to suspend City Council members
    • Switch from a one-year to a two-year budgeting process
    • Require the charter to be reviewed every 10 years
    • Police and civil service reform

    What's next: The commission is scheduled to meet every Tuesday and Thursday in March in order to get final recommendations to the City Council by April, Meza told LAist.