Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

The Brief

The most important stories for you to know today
  • A proposal to make legal DIY crosswalks
    A man with light skin tone, wearing a bucket hat, white long-sleeve shirt, and black pants with white paint on them, sits on a a wooden bench next to another bench near a shed.
    Jonathan Hale, crosswalk activist, helps build benches with People's Vision Zero in Los Angeles.

    Topline:

    Jonathan Hale has been painting crosswalks at some of the city’s most dangerous intersections for over a year, turning neglected streets into quiet acts of protest and prevention. That work led to his arrest last fall on vandalism — a moment caught on video that went viral. So far, the city isn’t pursuing a misdemeanor charge, and the incident gave Hale a chance to present his vision for a safer Los Angeles to Mayor Karen Bass’ office. Now, he’s proposing an unusual way for the city to make his guerrilla crosswalks legal: permitted painting parties.

    More details: In their proposal to the mayor’s office, People’s Vision Zero presents a “block party” model for installing crosswalks, led by residents who could follow specific state standards, as a low-cost way to address dangerous streets while working with city agencies, rather than waiting years for formal infrastructure projects to move forward.

    Why now: Hale argues that Los Angeles’ official Vision Zero program has failed to meet its goal. In 2024, there were 303 traffic deaths in Los Angeles and 290 last year, according to the latest data from the Los Angeles Police Department.

    Read on... for more about the proposal.

    This story was originally published by The LA Local on Jan. 29, 2026.

    Jonathan Hale has been painting crosswalks at some of the city’s most dangerous intersections for over a year, turning neglected streets into quiet acts of protest and prevention. That work led to his arrest last fall on vandalism — a moment caught on video that went viral.

    So far, the city isn’t pursuing a misdemeanor charge, and the incident gave Hale a chance to present his vision for a safer Los Angeles to Mayor Karen Bass’ office. Now, he’s proposing an unusual way for the city to make his guerrilla crosswalks legal: permitted painting parties.

    “We’re arguing for a legal mechanism. We should be able to permit street closures, as if you were permitting a block party, and then we can actually do the thing,” Hale told The LA Local. “We can make these (crosswalks) while the street is closed. We can add these compliance lines, and it would be like some sort of city-sanctioned street art program. We really want this to be like an alley oop for the city.”

    He met with the mayor’s office to discuss this proposal in December as the lead of the pedestrian advocacy group People’s Vision Zero. His ultimate goal is to find a legal pathway for residents like him to paint crosswalks.

    His group’s name is a play on the Vision Zero initiative, launched by then-Mayor Eric Garcetti in 2015 to eliminate traffic deaths over the next decade.

    “I got the idea because I’m a pedestrian — we all are,” Hale said. “I started painting crosswalks to see whether this could be a way to raise awareness around the issue and create lasting change. It’s gratifying. You get to be outside and meet people in your community and organize.”

    In their proposal to the mayor’s office, People’s Vision Zero presents a “block party” model for installing crosswalks, led by residents who could follow specific state standards, as a low-cost way to address dangerous streets while working with city agencies, rather than waiting years for formal infrastructure projects to move forward.

    “I think they see the momentum in the moment,” Hale said about the city. “We really want this to be like an alley-oop for the city. But I think it’s going to be unbelievably hard. It’s going to require the coordination of so many different bureaucratic organs. But we want to do it.”

    Sergio Godinez, a spokesperson for Mayor Bass, confirmed that the mayor’s office has met with Hale and city departments “to explore solutions that are innovative and will expedite crosswalk installations across Los Angeles.”

    “Mayor Bass believes that streets and sidewalks should be safe and accessible for all Angelenos, no matter how they travel,” Godinez said. “The City will continue to install crosswalks that comply with federal, state, and local regulations.”

    Hale argues that Los Angeles’ official Vision Zero program has failed to meet its goal. In 2024, there were 303 traffic deaths in Los Angeles and 290 last year, according to the latest data from the Los Angeles Police Department.

    Hale started his advocacy work with the activist group Crosswalk Collective LA, which taught him most of what he knows about crosswalks, including how to design them within city code and use them to raise awareness about safer streets.

    “We would love to see some sort of official sanctioning of this within guidelines,” Hale said. “That would be the ultimate goal because crosswalks alone aren’t going to change anything. We’re just adding a crosswalk for drivers to more easily see pedestrians, but that’s not going to solve traffic violence on its own.”

    For years, various groups have been calling attention to Los Angeles’ most dangerous intersections. They called out the city’s slow response, such as the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and 4th Street in Koreatown, where a driver killed 9-year-old Nadir Gavarrete last summer. The city installed a temporary traffic circle, signage and crosswalks years after securing funding and after the boy’s death.

    The High-Injury Network from the Los Angeles Department of Transportation, a map of streets with disproportionately high rates of collisions and fatalities, makes it easier to identify these dangerous areas. Activists like those in the Crosswalk Collective have emphasized the urgent need for both community-led interventions and meaningful city action to make streets safer.

    The group has drawn increased attention on Instagram in recent weeks after Hale was arrested and cited in December for painting a crosswalk in Westwood. In the video that went viral, Hale is seen being handcuffed by an officer as bystanders shout, “Let him go, he’s not doing anything.”

    Hale was cited for “vandalism on city property” and received a misdemeanor for the offense that was later dropped.

    Not long after, Hale also started building benches that he wants to place around the community.

    Michael Jenkins, an attorney and lecturer at USC Gould School of Law, said that since the city of Los Angeles owns the street, nobody can make a permanent marking on it — only the city government can authorize that.

    Jenkins added that crosswalk installation is governed by a formal city process and professional traffic safety standards, not individual judgment. “Governments don’t install crosswalks willy-nilly. They don’t just do it based on a whim,” he said, noting that traffic engineers evaluate whether a crosswalk is necessary and appropriate based on established criteria.

    As a result, residents “cannot simply decide in their judgment that they believe the street is dangerous to pedestrians and then paint a crosswalk on the street” outside the required approval process. Those who painted an unauthorized crosswalk largely conceded their actions were illegal, Jenkins said, describing it as civil disobedience or political protest, but added the action was “obviously not allowed.”

    For now, Hale has paused painting crosswalks, but he hasn’t stopped advocating for safer streets.

    Crosswalks alone won’t solve the city’s pedestrian safety problems, he says, but he thinks they can make a meaningful difference — and he has other ideas as well.

    “Imagine using something like daylighting — the red-curb areas near intersections — and adding planter boxes to narrow them. That would make the intersections themselves narrower and safer,” Hale said.

    Hale can envision a safer version of Los Angeles. He just needs to convince the city it will take a group effort.

  • The bright green bird is a familiar site in Hermon
    Man with medium-tone skin wearing blue shirt and black cap with neon yellow backpack has green parrot perched on shoulder, standing in parking lot
    T.J. Gonzalez rescued Pepe, a red-crowned amazon parrot, who had a broken wing about five years ago. The two now makes appearances at various community gatherings and local hubs, including in front of Fresco Market in Hermon.

    Topline:

    A colorful parrot has captured the hearts of a northeast Los Angeles neighborhood.

    The backstory: T.J. Gonzalez, a mail carrier for 37 years before he retired, found Pepe, a red-crowned Amazon in July 2021. The chick had fallen out of a nest and was flailing on a busy street in San Marino.

    Where to meet Pepe the Parrot: The pair are a common site at the Fresco Market in Hermon. They can also be found at community centers, farmers’ markets and local events and they often take the Metro into downtown Los Angeles, Long Beach and other locations.

    Hermon — Some shoppers heading into Fresco Market were lost in their phones, but when they momentarily looked up, they were greeted by a flap of brilliant green feathers and a cheery squawk. Phones were put away.

    “Pepe! Hey Pepe! So good to see you!”

    Perched on the shoulder of T.J. Gonzalez, Pepe the Parrot was in full greeter mode. Wide-eyed and seeming to almost smile as he surveyed the parking lot and his approaching public, Pepe did what he naturally does: make people happy.

    A common sight at the Hermon market, near where they live, Gonzalez and Pepe can also be found at community centers, farmers’ markets and local events. They often take the Metro into downtown Los Angeles, Long Beach and other locations.

    There’s no money asked, stressed Gonzalez, adding that Pepe simply adores the attention. “People want to see and talk with him more than me,” he joked as he cracked a nut and placed it in his mouth. On cue, the bird reached around Gonzalez’s mouth to retrieve it.

    Man with light-tone skin wears a black baseball cap and sunglasses holds green parrot in a parking lot.
    Michael Eagle-Hall of El Sereno is delighted to meet Pepe outside of the Fresco Market in Hermon.
    (
    Brenda Rees
    /
    The Eastsider
    )

    A mail carrier for 37 years before he retired, Gonzalez found Pepe, a red-crowned Amazon (flocks are often seen in Northeast L.A.) in July 2021. The chick had fallen out of a nest and was flailing on a busy street in San Marino. “He was like roadkill,” said Gonzalez, who watched cars drive over (without striking) the bird.

    Gonzalez retrieved the parrot and looked for help, but wildlife rehabbers said they’d euthanize the bird since it had a broken wing. Gonzalez instead brought him to a vet and christened him Pepe.

    Since Pepe could not fly, Gonzalez started walking him around the neighborhood. He soon discovered how kids and adults enjoyed interacting with the parrot. Pepe is also a social media darling, with more than 8,600 followers on Instagram.

    Pepe is more of a squawker than a talker, but Gonzalez has learned how to art-direct photos of people and the bird, instructing them on how to hold their hands and arms best. “We just want that smile because that’s all that Pepe wants from you,” said Gonzalez.

  • Sponsored message
  • Bodies of all 9 skiers killed have been recovered

    Topline:

    Crews have now recovered the bodies of all nine backcountry skiers who were killed in an avalanche in Northern California earlier this week. It marks an end to what authorities on Saturday described as an agonizing five-day search and recovery operation complicated by intense winter storms northwest of Lake Tahoe.

    Why now: Until Saturday, authorities had not confirmed the death of a ninth victim, a skier who had been missing and presumed dead. Officials say their body was found near the eight other victims that have now been recovered.

    Crews have now recovered the bodies of all nine backcountry skiers who were killed in an avalanche in Northern California earlier this week. It marks an end to what authorities on Saturday described as an agonizing five-day search and recovery operation complicated by intense winter storms northwest of Lake Tahoe.

    "While we wish we could have saved them all, we are grateful that we can bring them home," said Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon during a Saturday news conference.

    Until Saturday, authorities had not confirmed the death of a ninth victim, a skier who had been missing and presumed dead. Officials say their body was found near the eight other victims that have now been recovered. Authorities said avalanche hazards and weather conditions were too dangerous most of the week to search for the remaining victim or recover the bodies.

    Four of the bodies were recovered on Friday, and the rest of the bodies were recovered on Saturday, all in the Castle Peak area where the avalanche – one of the deadliest in California history — struck. Six people from the group of 15 skiers survived Tuesday's disaster, the last day of a three-day backcountry ski trip. One guide and five travelers were among the survivors.

    Helicopters with the California National Guard as well as the California Highway Patrol were used to hoist the remaining bodies from the mountain, officials said at the press conference.

    On Friday, officials were able to use specialized techniques with the help of Pacific Gas & Electric to reduce the avalanche risk.

    The ski trip was organized by Blackbird Mountain Guides, an outdoor tour company based in Truckee, Calif. Moon confirmed the identities of the victims. Three guides were killed: Andrew Alissandratos, 34, from Verdi, Nev.; Michael Henry, 30, from Soda Springs, Calif.; and Nicole Choo, 42, of South Lake Tahoe, Calif. The other victims, who had signed up for the group trip, are: Carrie Atkin, 46, of Soda Springs; Lizabeth Clabaugh, 52, of Boise, Idaho; Danielle Keatley, 44, of Soda Springs and Larkspur, Calif.; Kate Morse, 45, of Soda Springs and Tiburon, Calif.; Caroline Sekar, 45, of Soda Springs and San Francisco; and Katherine Vitt, 43, of Greenbrae, Calif.

    The Sierra Avalanche Center classified the avalanche between a D2 and D3 on the avalanche danger scale.

    "A D2 would take down a person. A D3 would take down a house, so it was right in between those. It was described by them as a football field length of a path of the avalanche," Sheriff Moon said on Saturday.

    Multiple agencies are investigating.

    "We are investigating the incident to determine if there were any factors that would be considered criminal negligence," Ashley Quadros with the Nevada County Sheriff's Office said in an email to NPR on Sunday. "It is a standard investigation. It is too early to know if criminal charges will be applicable, as the investigation is preliminary and remains active and ongoing."

    The area will be closed to visitors for several weeks.
    Copyright 2026 NPR

  • Sen. Adam Schiff says he'll pass
    An older man with gray hair and light skin tone looks up towards right of frame with a microphone in front of him.
    Senator Adam Schiff who was reelected to the US Senate speaks at the 2024 CA DEM party at the JW Marriott on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2024 in Los Angeles, CA.

    Topline:

    California Senator Adam Schiff is the latest Democrat to say they will boycott the State of the Union on Tuesday.

    Why now: In a video posted Saturday on social media, Schiff cites as reasons a number of President Donald Trump's actions.

     "Donald Trump is violating the law and Constitution. He's ignoring court orders. He has weaponized the Justice Department to go after his enemies. He is letting loose ice troops in our streets that are getting people killed. I will not be attending the State of the Union. I've never missed one. I have always gone both to inaugurations and to states of the Union, but we cannot treat this as normal," he said in his message.

    What's next: Instead, Schiff plans to attend The People's State of the Union, organized by Democratic advocacy organizations MoveOn and MeidasTouch on the National Mall that same night, joining a number of Democratic lawmakers who'll also be skipping President Trump's address to the nation on Tuesday.

  • Still open despite earlier DHS announcement

    Topline:

    The Transportation Security Administration said today that its PreCheck program would remain operational despite an earlier announcement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the airport security service was being suspended during the partial government shutdown.

    What's next? It was not immediately clear whether Global Entry, another airport service, would be affected. PreCheck and Global Entry are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines, and suspensions would likely cause headaches and delays.

    The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that its PreCheck program would remain operational despite an earlier announcement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the airport security service was being suspended during the partial government shutdown.

    "As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly," the agency said.

    It was not immediately clear whether Global Entry, another airport service, would be affected. PreCheck and Global Entry are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines, and suspensions would likely cause headaches and delays.

    The turmoil is tied to a partial government shutdown that began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump's deportation campaign.

    Homeland Security previously said it was taking "emergency measures to preserve limited funds." Among the steps listed were "ending Transportation Security Administration (TSA) PreCheck lanes and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry service, to refocus Department personnel on the majority of travelers."

    Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement on Saturday night that "shutdowns have serious real world consequences."

    One group of fliers will definitely be affected, according to TSA

    "Courtesy escorts, such as those for Members of Congress, have been suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America's skies," the agency said.

    Airlines for America, a trade group representing major carriers, said Saturday night that "it's past time for Congress to get to the table and get a deal done." It also criticized the announcement by saying it was "issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly."

    Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized Homeland Security handling of airport security after the initial announcement on Saturday night. They accused the administration of "kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure."

    Sen. Andy Kim, a New Jersey Democrat, said Noem's actions are part of an administration strategy to distract from other issues and shift responsibility.

    "This administration is trying to weaponize our government, trying to make things intentionally more difficult for the American people as a political leverage," he told CNN on Sunday. "And the American people see that."