Mureau Fire: Calabasas Fire Contained After Prompting Evacuations
Evacuations were lifted Wednesday, after a small brush fire threatened the communities of Calabasas and Hidden Hills, according to the L.A. County Fire Department. The fire has been fully contained, according to the L.A. County Sheriff's Department's Lost Hills Station.
The Mureau Fire was initially reported at about 10:45 a.m. at Mureau Road and Mountain View Drive. Within about an hour, forward progress had been stopped at 10 acres.
Firefighters were continuing to work on putting out hot spots, fire officials said.
The Mureau Fire had been threatening structures, with the Hidden Hills community under direct threat and Mountain View Estates residents called to evacuate.
Fire engines, choppers, and Super Scoopers responded to the fire, according to Malibu Search and Rescue.
All northbound 101 Freeway lanes had been stopped at Mureau Road, but the freeway has since reopened.
- Acreage: 10 acres
- Containment: 100%
- Structures destroyed: 0
- Resources deployed: Fire engines, choppers, Super Scoopers
- Mureau Road between Las Virgenes and Round Meadow
The fire started near Mureau Road and Mountain View Drive in Calabasas, near the 101 Freeway. It was given a second alarm designation and initially reported at five acres. However, forward progress was quickly stopped.
The cause was not immediately known.
For the latest information straight from local emergency officials, check the following websites and social media accounts:
- Twitter: L.A. County Fire Department
- Twitter: City of Calabasas
- Twitter: Malibu Search and Rescue
- Twitter: California Highway Patrol — West Valley
- Twitter: L.A. County Sheriff's Department — Lost Hills Station
- Every Day Is Fire Season. Here's How Angelenos Can Prepare Right Now
- How To Find Out About Fire Evacuations In Your Area
- How To Keep Yourself Safe From Wildfire Smoke
- The Air Is Brown — Should I Wear A Mask?
- This Is Why Fire Officials Don't Want You To Stay And Defend Your Home
- What Does 'Containment' Of A Fire Mean, Exactly?
- What Does A 'Red Flag Warning' Mean, Exactly?
- What To Do — And Not Do — When You Get Home After A Wildfire
- How To Avoid Getting Towed During LA's Red Flag Parking Restrictions
- If You Want To Help Fire Victims, Resist The Urge To Volunteer
YOUR QUESTIONS OR IDEAS