Today on AirTalk, we discuss a lawsuit against the state of California by 24 cities and one county over violations of veto power over marijuana sales in their jurisdictions. We also examine a state bill which would limit officers’ use of lethal force only when “necessary” to defend against imminent death or severe harm; and more.
California cities sue the state, claiming marijuana home deliveries circumvent Prop 64
In a lawsuit against the state of California, 24 cities and one county argue the state is violating cities’ veto power over marijuana sales in their jurisdictions.
In January, the California Bureau of Cannabis Control adopted a regulation that permits state-licensed firms to deliver cannabis to residences in cities that banned marijuana dispensaries.
Supporters of the state-adopted regulation assert that while cities can pass “reasonable restrictions” on how marijuana businesses operate in their own jurisdictions, they do not have the right to limit deliveries to residences.
In addition to claiming their veto power has been threatened, cities fear pot deliveries would lead to an increase in criminal activity in their jurisdictions.
Are you someone who lives in a city that banned marijuana dispensaries? Or someone who relies on home deliveries of marijuana? How do you feel about this lawsuit by these cities against the state? We’re taking your calls at 866-893-5722.
We reached out to the California Bureau of Cannabis Control, which is unable to join us today
Guests:
Walter Allen III, councilmember and former mayor of the city of Covina, which bans the sales of recreational marijuana
Douglas White, attorney and founding partner at Churchwell White LLP, which is representing the cities in the lawsuit
Khurshid Khoja, principal at Greenbridge Corporate Counsel and vice chair of the National Cannabis Industry Association
One of the country’s toughest use-of-force bills will get its first public hearing in CA
Prompted by the shooting of Stephon Clark last year, California lawmakers are considering a use-of-force bill that would limit officers’ use of lethal force only when “necessary” to defend against imminent death or severe harm.
The state bill, AB 392, is facing its first public hearing next week. If passed, it would be the strictest use-of-force law in the nation.
But experts on both sides of the debate are unhappy with the bill, while others — like the ACLU which backs the bill — think it’s an important first step towards the reduction of fatal police shootings.
We want to hear from you: Do you think this bill could make a significant enough impact on policing? Do you work in law enforcement and have concerns about unintended consequences of this bill?
We’re taking your calls at 866-893-5722, or comment below.
Guests:
Cheryl Dorsey, retired Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD); She served between 1980-2000
Ronald A. Lawrence, president of the California Police Chiefs Association and chief of police at the Citrus Heights Police Department; he tweets
Say it ain’t so! Federal government urges California to enact total ban on cellphone use in cars
Since 2017, California prohibits drivers from holding a smartphone in their cars, even at traffic stops. But the National Transportation Safety Board wants more from the Golden State.
April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month and at an kickoff event Wednesday, the agency has called on California to lead the country in enacting a total phone ban in cars.
“Hands-free is not risk-free,” said Nicholas Worrell, Director of NTSB’s Office of Safety Advocacy at the event.
“If California will lead, the NTSB stands ready to support them,” Worrell said.
Should the state put in a total cellphone ban in cars? Call us at 866.893.5722 to weigh in.
Guest:
Nicholas Worrell, Director, Office of Safety Advocacy at the National Transportation Safety Board
FilmWeek: ‘Pet Sematary,’ ‘Amazing Grace,’‘Shazam!’ and more
Larry Mantle and KPCC film critics Lael Loewenstein and Peter Rainer review this weekend’s new movie releases.
Tickets are now on sale for our latest FilmWeek screening: Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Boogie Nights.” Join Larry Mantle at The Theatre at Ace Hotel on July 27 at 7pm. You can buy your tickets here
- "Pet Sematary" in wide release
- "Amazing Grace" at ArcLight Hollywood, Cinemark Baldwin Hills, AMC Burbank, AMC Burbank Town Center & The Landmark Theater
- The Frame's John Horn interviewed one of the films directors earlier this week. You can listen to that interview here
- "Shazam!" in wide release
- "The Best of Enemies" in wide release
- "Roll Red Roll" at Laemmle's Monica Film Center
- "Ramen Shop" at the Nuart Theater
- "Peterloo" at Laemmle's Royal Theater
- "The Chaperone" in select theaters (check local listings)
- "The Public" in select theaters (check local listings)
- "Storm Boy" at AMC Universal CityWalk, AMC Puente Hills, Laemmle's Monica Film Center, AMC Orange & AMC Ontario Mills
- "High Life" at ArcLight Hollywood & The Landmark Theater
CRITICS' HITS
Lael: 'Amazing Grace' & 'Ramen Shop'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkKOIQwTiKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmNrucfrngw
Peter: 'The Best of Enemies' & 'Roll Red Roll'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKM6fSTs-A0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1iUSyViyo
MIXED FEELINGS
Lael: 'The Chaperone' & 'The Public'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwiLcUMibE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN0iLUj64zs
Peter: 'Pet Sematary,' 'Peterloo' & 'Storm Boy'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XakmsXltPkA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj5h1kKjVYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cBOvn18yeQ
MISSES
Lael: 'High Life'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WI49OA3BjU
Peter: 'Shazam!'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uilJZZ_iVwY
Guests:
Lael Loewenstein, KPCC film critic; she tweets
Peter Rainer, film critic for KPCC and the Christian Science Monitor
The beauty behind the beast: uncovering the lost history of movie monster maker Milicent Patrick
The titular creature from “The Creature from the Black Lagoon” is one the most memorable movie monsters in Hollywood history, but what about the woman who created the creature?
For decades, the creature’s creation had been credited to Bud Westmore, the head of Universal’s makeup department, however in reality a woman named Milicent Patrick designed and brought the creature to life. The creature, also known as Gill-man by generations of sci-fi and horror fans, was the first and at the time, only movie monster to have been designed by a woman.
Westmore, who was known to be known to be difficult, controlling, and jealous of those under him in the makeup department, struck Milicent’s name from the credits, replaced it with his own, and then fired her, rather than have her role in the movie’s success become known to the public.
Mallory O’Meara’s book “The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick” takes a look at Milicent’s passion for art, her resilience in the male dominated world of Hollywood and horror, and how Milicent’s work has inspired countless movies and filmmakers including Guillermo del Toro and his Oscar winning film “The Shape of Water”.
Guest:
Mallory O’ Meara, author of “The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick” (Hanover Square Press, 2019); she is also a producer for Dark Dunes Productions, an independent film company that makes horror, science-fiction and fantasy films and co-host of the literary podcast Reading Glasses; she tweets