Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
Civics & Democracy

Supreme Court allows Trump's ballroom construction to continue for now

A close up of President Trump holding a printed rendering of a ballroom.
President Trump displays a rendering of his proposed $250 million White House ballroom on Oct. 22, 2025 in Washington, D.C.
(
Alex Wong
/
Getty Images
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

The Supreme Court ruled Friday that President Trump can — for now — move forward with construction of his ballroom on the site of the former East Wing of the White House without needing approval from Congress.

The new ballroom is estimated to cost taxpayers at least $300 million despite the president saying repeatedly that taxpayers would not foot the bill.

The ruling comes after months of back and forth between the Trump administration and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which sued to stop the construction of the ballroom. The nonprofit organization has argued that the president must get approval from Congress to build over the East Wing of the White House, the side that held offices for the first lady.

The new ballroom is expected to be a 90,000-square-foot addition to the White House and twice the size of the main part of the White House complex.

Trump has argued for months that the new ballroom is a necessity, often pointing to the lack of space to host events with foreign dignitaries. He's also said that the ballroom will house critical national security benefits, including bomb shelters, a hospital, sniper nests and a drone port.

Trending on LAist


The Supreme Court had until Friday to weigh in after lower courts had differing rulings on the ballroom for the last few months.

Sponsored message

In a brief order, signed by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court stayed the lower court ruling to pause construction.

In their brief filed earlier this week, the trust asserted that if the Supreme Court allowed construction to continue at this time, they were effectively ending the case.

"Rather than obtain permission from Congress, Petitioners have instead decided to try to outrun judicial review" by accelerating construction. "It is clear that in Petitioners' view, if the Court grants their stay application, this case is over—despite every court to have reviewed their project having found it to be patently unlawful, and no matter the fact that this Court has not reviewed those decisions on the merits," they wrote.

The court proceedings started in March, when Republican-appointed federal Judge Richard Leon ruled against Trump on the ballroom, saying the construction needed to stop unless it was additions to the White House that involved safety and security.The ruling then went to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, which decided that construction could temporarily continue. Leon then clarified and said below-ground construction of the ballroom could continue, but above-ground could not.

Trump responded on social media, writing, "It's all tied together as one big, expensive, and very complex unit, which is vital for National Security and Military Operations of the United States of America!"

The case then went back to the appeals court but the Trump administration requested an emergency appeal with the Supreme Court.

Construction of the ballroom began last July and has involved closing off access to the north side of the White House and Lafayette Park, which were previously open to the public. Polling shows the project, along with many of Trump's other efforts to remake the capital city, are unpopular among voters.

Sponsored message

An April poll from Washington Post-ABC News-Ipsos showed 56% of Americans did not approve of Trump's decision to tear down the East Wing and build the ballroom.

NPR's Emily Feng contributed reporting from Washington.
Copyright 2026 NPR

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today