Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Federal jury says MGA, not Mattel, owns Bratz copyright

Bratz dolls are seen for sale on the Target Holiday Boat on Nov. 29, 2002 in New York City.
Bratz dolls are seen for sale on the Target Holiday Boat on Nov. 29, 2002 in New York City.
(
Mario Tama/Getty Images
)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Listen 0:51
Federal jury says MGA, not Mattel, owns Bratz copyright
Federal jury says MGA, not Mattel, owns Bratz copyright

A federal jury ruled on Thursday that the Bratz don’t belong in the same house with Barbie, ending a high-dollar dispute between two Southland toymakers over some very popular dolls.

El-Segundo-based toy giant Mattel thought it owned the Bratz, even though Van Nuys-based upstart MGA brought the dolls to market 10 years ago.

Mattel maintained that the Bratz designer was working for Mattel when he created the edgy urban dolls – then took his idea over to MGA.

Mattel sued and won a $100 million award in the first trial three years ago. But the court overturned that verdict last year, and the case came back.

This time, after a three-month trial and almost two weeks of deliberations, the jury sided with MGA. It ruled that Mattel misappropriated MGA’s trade secrets and awarded the smaller company $88 million in damages.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today