Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
Criminal Justice

Man accused of starting deadly Palisades Fire pleads not guilty, again

A firefighter spraying water on fire.
A firefighter douses a hot spot as a fire burns in Pacific Palisades, California on January 7, 2025.
(
David Swanson
/
AFP
)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Topline:

The former Pacific Palisades resident accused of starting a fire that led to last year’s destructive Palisades Fire pleaded not guilty Wednesday to a new set of reduced arson-related charges, according to federal prosecutors.

Why it matters: Jonathan Rinderknecht, 30, was arraigned on two charges in a downtown L.A. courtroom. He was originally facing three arson-related charges, but his first trial ended with a deadlocked jury in June. The judge declared a mistrial, and First Assistant U.S. Attorney Bill Essayli vowed to retry the case before a new jury.

Why now: Steve Haney, Rinderknecht’s attorney, told reporters after the hearing that their defense strategy will mostly remain the same, as he argues Rinderknecht is innocent. "I've maintained all along that the charging was a little bit curious," Haney said, according to LAist’s media partner CBS LA. "[Prosecutors] still need to establish that there's some bridge between the two fires, the Lachman Fire on Jan. 1 and Palisades on Jan. 7, and I think that's a real challenge."

The backstory: Prosecutors have argued that Rinderknecht maliciously started the smaller Lachman Fire near a hiking trail in the Santa Monica Mountains just after midnight on New Year’s Day 2025. About a week later, it became the Palisades Fire, one of the most destructive wildfires in California history.

What's next: The retrial was originally set for October, but it’s been continued to Nov. 2. Rinderknecht will stay in federal custody in the meantime.

Go deeper: Judge declares mistrial for man accused of starting deadly Palisades Fire

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today