This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
A plane travels under today's cloudy skies. | Photo by taggle burman via Flickr
- "Today all of Los Angeles mourns the passing of its long-time, revered First Lady, Ethel Bradley," Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said of former Mayor Tom Bradley's wife. "She served the city of Los Angeles with dignity and class throughout her life and we will remember her as a woman of grace, with a supreme commitment to her family, a tireless community spirit and the Dodgers' biggest fan."
- The new Terminator movie's poster shows Chinatown and Angelino Heights going up in flames. You've got 10 years to enjoy before it becomes cyberpunk reality.
- There's a new hyper-local neighborhood blog for those who live in Seal Beach. It's co-written by travel writer Donna Wares, author of Great Escapes and the force behind My California.
- More bailllllllouts: "Federal officials today announced $800 billion in new actions to try to ease the financial crisis, including a $200-billion program to help loosen lending to consumers for auto purchases, student loans and credit cards -- the government's first major venture into a vast sector of the lending world."
- Wish our public transit system had this? New York City's MTA now has real-time e-mail and text messages regarding planned and unplanned service changes.
- There's a big gay rights news coming out of Florida today that has Prop 8 opponents talking: "A Florida law that has banned adoptions by gay men and lesbians for over three decades is unconstitutional, a judge here ruled on Tuesday."
- TMZ's TV show was renewed for two more years, which probably means more of Fabio's son playing stalkarazzi with his own dad.
- A twin-engine Cessna plane with broken nose gear made a scary, but safe, landing this afternoon at Van Nuys Airport.