Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Woman Says Walmart Told Her Not To Call The Cops After Thief Attacked Her

Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A woman who was attacked inside of a Highland Walmart by a thief after her gold necklace criticized the store's security for persuading her not to call the police.

Linda Andrade, 68, was shopping at the store located at 4210 E. Highland Ave. on March 13 around 5 p.m. when a man attempted to snatch her necklace she was wearing, according to CBS Los Angeles. A surveillance video captured the incident showing Andrade's necklace falling to the ground after the attack. She confronts him and he walks away without her jewelry—a keepsake her husband had given to her 30 years ago.

"I kept yelling ‘security help, help,’ and nobody showed up,” she told L.A. Daily News. "All of a sudden a man came to me and said he (the attacker) was gone."

She says that man told he was part of Walmart's security, but refused to show her credentials. In addition, when she asked the store's manager to call the police to report the incident, she says she tried to convince her not to because she still had her necklace. "If I do that,' she said, 'You're going to be here two or three hours,' and she told me that a couple of times," Andrade told KABC.

Support for LAist comes from

Andrade took matters into her own hands and contacted police who responded to her within 15 minutes.

"This was a very high priority call," San Bernardino Police Lt. Rich Lawhead told NBC Los Angeles. "Maybe an arriving officer would have seen the suspect."

Walmart wrote a statement (via KABC):

"We have reached out to Ms. Andrade to apologize for how this was handled. We have also reiterated our policies and procedures to those involved. We will work with local law enforcement to provide any information we have such as surveillance video to help identify the suspect responsible."

However, Andrade says she won't shop there anymore. After all, she doesn't feel safe after this incident.