City Council Races: A Snoozer of a Local Contest
City Council seats are up for grabs in the March 2009 election for odd numbered council districts. Save for Jack Weiss of Council District (CD) 5, who plans his next campaign for City Attorney, all incumbents are planning on re-running and all but one have raised a significant amount of cash and most are going at it unchallenged, according to David Zahniser at the LA Times:
- CD1: Ed Reyes has raised $75,225.00
- CD3: Dennis Zine, unchallenged, $107,134.00
- CD5: Three non-incumbents have raised over $70,000 with Bel-Air resident Ron Galperin at $112,517.73
- CD7: No one is running yet, but unnamed sources said incumbent Richard Alarcon plans to.
- CD9: Jan C. Perry, unchallenged, $216,605.00
- CD11: Bill Rosendahl, unchallenged, $183,172.68
- CD13: Eric Garcetti, unchallenged, $291,484.00
- CD15: Janice Hahn, unchallenged, $68,095.00
With so many unchallenged and so much already raised, it's looking to be another calm city council election season. However, Council District 5, which covers West Los Angeles to Sherman Oaks/Encino, will be a good one.
Mayor Villaraigosa has raised over $1.6 million to re-run. Walter Moore, who has raised the second most amount of money, is around $1.5 million behind.