Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


What We Know About The Gun-Wielding Man In The NoHo Standoff

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

More details have emerged about the armed man who led authorities on an hours-long, high-speed freeway chase through L.A. Monday afternoon before surrendering to a SWAT Team. He shook up a normally quiet North Hollywood neighborhood when he ditched his red Nissan Altima to flee on foot, jumping on residential rooftops while holding what looked like an assault rifle, and hiding inside a home.

Nolan Perez, 41, wearing all-white, peacefully surrendered around 3 p.m. in the 11600 block of Hartsook Street after he was holed up in a woman's empty house and police tossed in tear gas. Authorities found a gun on the couch of the home he was barricaded in.

He was arrested and charged with seven felony counts, including making criminal threats and stalking his ex-girlfriend several times between May 19 and June 6, reported the L.A. Times. His threats were violent, saying that he would physically harm the woman, according to court records.

Records showed that Perez was a convict who already served some time in a state prison. He has a laundry list of convictions under his belt: for being a felon with a firearm, negligently discharging a firearm, and abuse of a spouse or loved one. He was on parole since last August.

Support for LAist comes from

Perez's ex-girlfriend reported to police on Monday around 10:15 a.m. that he was sitting outside her home in the El Serano area. When authorities arrived and tried to arrest him, he fled, leading them on a chase of up to speeds of 100 mph through the 10, 101, 110, 5, and 170 freeways. Once Perez was spotted in NoHo, neighboring schools were put on lockdown.

Neighbors told KNBC that Perez was a painter and had recently moved in with his parents at their home in Pacoima.

"He was suffering from emotional issues," a neighbor said. "I worked with him. We did painting together many years ago ... I guess he had a lot of problems, and he wanted help."