This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
Photo via Gothamist
- Gothamist, when not reflecting on 2009, was disturbed by a video of a violent fight on a 6 train—a woman who had repeatedly tried to break up the altercation by pleading "please stop" and "don't do it" was struck in the face.
- Phillyist took another listen to their favorite songs of 2009.
- Chicagoist counted down their top 9 stories of 2009, topped off by President Obama's Inauguration and the city's failed 2016 Olympics bid.
- Londonist cut through the doom and gloom with some post-economic-downturn stock-taking.
- Bostonist celebrated the end of 2009 by listing Ten Things We Hated last year.
- LAist's Film Editor revealed his picks for the 10 Best Movies of 2009 and they aren't necessarily everyone else's favorites.
- Torontoist took a look back at their most popular articles of 2009, a perfect primer to the city's big stories for out-of-towners.
- Seattlest ventured to the warehouse district for some authentic Hawaiian food.
- SFist, in lieu of snorting the city's cocaine supply cut with animal deworming medication, celebrated the new year by shunning moments of 2009.