This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
Illustration by Clayton Hanmer
- Torontoist selected their city's Heroes and Villains of the year—complete with some of the coolest original illustrations you will see on the whole wide internet. (Boo NHL and Earth Hour! Hooray wildlife and Roy Halladay!)
- Seattlest got what they wanted from modern corporate rock.
- Chicagoist took note of some political intrigue when a state senator's husband confronted her opponent at one of his fundraisers.
- Bostonist came up with some exciting beer-related and liquor-related holiday gifts.
- LAist sat back, relaxed, and gave Neil Young's "Dreamin' Man Live '92" a listen, and found it often was better than the studio album those performances wound up preceding.
- Phillyist took a look at their best reader-submitted photos of 2009.
- Londonist bravely stripped off and joined dozens of other foolhardy lunatics for a gonad-shrivelling dip in an ice-encrusted pool at the Brockwell Lido mid-winter swim. Brrrr!
- Shanghaiist documented the implosion of one of the oldest English teaching schools in the city, Kaien English. It's a stark reminder of how little protection many foreigners working in China really have.
- SFist snapped some shots of Lady Gaga.
- DCist was stunned when a police detective drew a gun at a friendly snowball fight in the middle of Washington, D.C.'s big winter storm.
- Gothamist broke news of a naked bike ride to protest the removal of a bike lane but a winter storm made it a bust, much to the disappointment of a cop who yelled, "I want to see some boobs."
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.