This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
Photo courtesy of Posterchild
- Torontoist thought it was awwww-some that their street artist pal Posterchild asked his girlfriend to marry him by means of street art.
- Seattlest was thankful for all the ways that Washington sports doesn't suck.
- LAist was all about being thankful this week, and our editors gave much of their thanks to Los Angeles itself.
- DCist scratched their heads when a crazy guy stopped traffic downtown to demand $200 million while standing atop a U-Haul van, throwing Molotov cocktails.
- SFist questioned this footage showing a BART cop using (excessive?) force again.
- Bostonist's outing to a Sonic Youth show was ruined by bad sound, so we came up with a plan for better rock shows in 5 steps.
- Chicagoist gave thanks for being alerted to the newest epidemic sweeping schools in the Midwest: ball-tapping.
- Gothamist was stunned when a man was killed for a seat on the D train and wondered about being locked in a subway care with a murderer.
- Londonist had a preview of the clean and spacious new £800 million ticket hall at Kings Cross, before it inevitably becomes deluged and dirtied by hundreds of thousands of commuters.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.