Week Around the Ists
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
Photo by Gothamist reader Wayne
- Gothamist was struck by this photograph of a rat stuck while trying to emerge from under a sidewalk. And Gothamist readers let their imaginations go wild, offering various scenarios for the rat.
- Phillyist watched MLB.com call it too soon before celebrating the Phillies' second consecutive trip to the World Series. Sorry, LAist—but at least you still have one hometown team in contention.
- Torontoist took a look at their city hall's new green roof; when it's finished in the spring, it'll be the whole city's largest publicly accessible one.
- Bostonist interviewed John Hodgman about his role in the Boston Book Festival.
- Shanghaiist found out that a lot of people in China have a lot of trouble defining what "communism" means.
- Chicagoist was a little surprised when an atheist billboard went up near downtown and nobody seemed to notice.
- Seattlest heard and was saved by the Gospel of Jay-Z.
- LAist went from the sublime to the ridiculous: They went day trippin' to the gorgeous Channel Islands National Park and found a 5-star Yelp review for Top Chef Fabio Viviani's not-even-open-yet restaurant.
- SFist was sad to see a second dead blue whale wash ashore in two weeks.
- Londonist celebrated its 5th birthday with copious cupcakes and general revelry.
- DCist followed the ongoing controversy of the Bloomingdale neighborhood's 'Boxer Girl' mural, which neighbors either seem to love or hate.