Week Around the Ists
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
Photo courtesy of Yollocalli
- Chicagoist saw controversy erupt when a youth-painted pro-immigration mural was defaced with racist graffiti.
- Torontoist was shocked to discover the mythical chupacabra! Actually, a raccoon with alopecia, it turned out.
- Houstonist was surprised at President Obama's selection for the "beer summit" and suggested that the president stock the White House fridge with Texas beer.
- Bostonist marveled over an X-Men Mural in Allston.
- Gothamist found out that if you're a deputy press aide to an elected official, calling President Obama "O-Dumb-a," saying Henry Louis Gates Jr. is a racist, and defending racial profiling isn't the way to job security.
- Shanghaiist climbed to the top of a local bridge, called the Lupu Qiao, and it liked the view.
- LAist assembled a map of all the Downtown LA locations that starred in the season's sleeper hit film 500 Days of Summer.
- Londonist enjoyed sunset views of the city from a temporary bar on top of a Peckham multi-storey car park.
- Phillyist encouraged its readers to save their local libraries.
- Seattlest posted all through the incredible heat wave the likes of which no one in the world has experienced before, with an all-time high of 103 effin' degrees.
- SFist came across this rather lovely note stuck to a contributor's windshield.