Week Around the Ists
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
Photograph by labatata on Flickr
- Gothamist went on the Wall Street roller coaster during a crazy week for financial institutions (bankruptcy, sale, bailout) and the county.
- Phillyist analyzed the problem of hecklers at live performances.
- Londonist eagerly anticipated the annual Open House Weekend, where for one weekend only, the public get to poke around some of the capital's more interesting buildings.
- LAist headed to the LA County Fair to earn a heart attack by checking out all the deep-fried foods such as deep-fried avocado and deep-fried Oreos. And then they ate a huge brick of cheese fries.
- Shanghaiist was happy to learn that Shanghai is one of the world's five most improved places for gay tolerance.
- Torontoist took a look at a photographer whose exhibit of photographs of street art was shut down last week, after local graffiti artists took issue with their work being photographed and re-sold for thousands of dollars without permission, credit, or compensation.
- Bostonist dared to criticize horny hometown heroes NKOTB.
- Chicagoist found out they live in America's Most Stressful City and then were given another reason why as they dealt with massive flooding.
- SFist captured images of PARK(ing) Day, an annual event where people take over metered parking spaces for a day, turning them into fun-sized public parks.