Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Two Suspects Killed In Shootout With Police After San Bernardino Mass Shooting

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

Two suspects related to the mass shooting that killed at least 14 people in San Bernardino have been killed after a chase and a shootout with police.

At a press conference Wednesday evening, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed that two suspects, a man and a woman, were killed in a shootout with police earlier this afternoon on the 1700 block of San Bernardino Avenue. Just before 3 p.m., police pursued a black S.U.V. said to be fleeing a Redlands residence after authorities arrived to conduct a search in connection to this morning's shooting. The chase ended in a residential neighborhood in San Bernardino, where police say the two suspects were killed. An officer was wounded in the shootout but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

A third person seen fleeing from the scene was also detained by police, but Burguan said his connection to the case was unknown. Police continued to search the neighborhood surrounding the location of the shootout into the early evening, ordering residents to shelter-in-place, but that search has since ended.

The pursuit and shootout took place just a few hours after 14 people were killed and 17 were wounded in a shooting at the Inland Regional Center located in the 1300 block of South Waterman Avenue, in San Bernardino. Around 11 a.m., at least two gunmen entered a banquet being held by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health and opened fired. A federal official told the L.A. Times that investigators believe one of the shooters got into an argument at the party, left, and returned with at least one other assailant.

Support for LAist comes from

NBC News is reporting that one of the suspects has been identified as Syed Farook, believed to be a U.S. citizen. Records show that a Syed R. Farook worked for the San Bernardino County Health Department.

Burguan said the suspects were wearing "assault-style clothing" and armed with both assault rifles and handguns. A possible explosive device was founded by police searching the Inland Regional Center after the shooting, and police say the S.U.V. may also contain explosives. Authorities are now searching a townhouse in Redlands, according to the New York Times, believed to be tied to the shooters.