Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Crew Goes on Risky Mission to Rescue Gray Whale Tangled in Fishing Net

We need to hear from you.
Today, put a dollar value on the trustworthy reporting you rely on all year long. The local news you read here every day is crafted for you, but right now, we need your help to keep it going. In these uncertain times, your support is even more important. We can't hold those in power accountable and uplift voices from the community without your partnership. Thank you.

Today marks Day 2 of the attempt to rescue a 40-foot gray whale tangled up in a fishing net just off the coast of Orange County.

The gray whale was spotted towing 50 to 100 feet of fishing line off the coast of Laguna Beach. Yesterday a crew with the Pacific Marine Mammal Center went on a risky mission to disentangle the whale from the net wrapped around his pectoral fin and mouth, which pose a risk to the otherwise healthy male whale. KTLA has video of yesterday's attempt to free the whale.

It got a little dicey at one point when the crew got too close to the whale, according to Dana Friedman with the Pacific Marine Mammal Center. He told KTLA, "He smacked our boat and we felt it. We saw this whale shaking his tail in a side-to-side fashion, which is something they do if they want to use their tail as a weapon."

The crew was able to remove some of the line but not all of it, which is why they're going back out today for round 2. This is the third rescue that the Pacific Marine Mammal Center has conducted off the coast of Orange County this month. One of the whales eventually died, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Most Read