This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Polk Audio introduces the Omni Collection: the first great-sounding wireless music system. Try one out today and hear the difference.
- Mercedes-Benz. Check out the redesigned 2014 C-Class.
- The Getty presents Josef Koudelka: Nationality Doubtful, the first U.S. retrospective devoted to the legendary photographer since 1988. The exhibition presents more than 180 works produced over six decades, on display November 11 through March 22.
- BarkBox. Want to treat your own pup to the magic of a monthly BarkBox? Gothamist readers receive 20% off any new subscription!
- Downtown Women's Center aims to break cycles of chronic unemployment and homelessness with Made by DWC. They empower women to discover talents and develop skills through vocational opportunities.
- The Fine Art Museum of San Francisco presents Keith Haring: The Political Line. Featuring more than 130 works of art including large scale paintings and sculptures and a number of the artist’s subway drawings. November 8 through February 16.
- American Apparel, with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.