This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- BarkBox. Want to treat your own pup to the magic of a monthly BarkBox? Gothamist readers receive 20% off any new subscription!
- Blue Apron. Enjoy fresh ingredients and great recipes delivered weekly to your home. And get this, LAist readers get two meals FREE! Sign up today to start cooking.
- Mercedes-Benz. Check out the redesigned 2014 C-Class.
- NewCo brings together the smartest and most innovative companies. There are 60+ participating host companies, including Demand Media, Dreamhost, General Assembly and Yahoo! and the festival kicks off on Wednesday, November 19th.
- Huster Hollywood. You know what? Sometimes you just need an adult store. Hustler Hollywood's unpretentious vibe, casual atmosphere, and approachability for every kind of person.
- LA Explorers Club and New Belgium Brewery bring you two new bike routes this fall to get out and explore LA!
- Downtown Women's Center aims to break cycles of chronic unemployment and homelessness with Made by DWC. They empower women to discover talents and develop skills through vocational opportunities.
- The Library Foundation of Los Angeles presents [ALOUD], An Evening with Colm Tóibín and Rachel Kushner. Hear these two authors read and discuss how they create characters that erupt off the page.
- The Fine Art Museum of San Francisco presents Keith Haring: The Political Line. Featuring more than 130 works of art including large scale paintings and sculptures and a number of the artist’s subway drawings. November 8 through February 16.
- The The Autry hosts the largest Native American arts fair in Southern California, the Autry's American Indian Arts Marketplace features 200 Native American artists. November 8 and 9.
- American Apparel, with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.