This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Levi's® Commuter Series. RSVP for the Levi's® Commuter Workspace in Downtown LA for a chance to win a $300 gift card and score your own awesome Commuter gear.
- What If, starring Danielle Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. Check out the trailer and see it in select theaters Friday!
- Muckfest. Run-A-Muck, Los Angeles! October 11th, register today!
- Blue Apron. Enjoy fresh ingredients and great recipes delivered weekly to your home. And get this, LAist readers get two meals FREE! Sign up today to start cooking.
- Mercedes-Benz. Check out the redesigned 2014 C-Class.
- The Autry. See the exhibition critics call “impressive,” “enlightening” and “handsomely designed.” Route 66: The Road and the Romance is now on view at the Autry in Griffith Park.
- The Getty. Controversial, misunderstood, and sometimes overlooked, Minor White was one of the great photographers of the 20th century. Throughout his career, White sought to photograph things not only for what they are but also for what they may suggest, creating photographs teeming with symbolism and metaphorical allusion. Come visit through October 19th.
- New Belgium Brewery brings you LA Explorers Club, bike tours into Los Angeles' forgotten times. Sunday, July 20th Downtown and in Hollywood on Saturday, August 30th.
- The Simpsons Take The Bowl. Journey to Springfield as the orchestra accompanies your favorite scenes on the big screen. September 12-14, tickets on sale now!
- The Fisher Project. New Love. Now open on 113 South Robinson Road. Where simplicity and curiosity meet.
- AVA Little Tokyo is offering one month free on select units for July and August move-ins! Available for rent now.
- Citibank. Download the Citi Mobile App and bank from almost anywhere!
- Crest Theatre proudly presents Top Secret! - 30th anniversary director's cut with live filmmaker Q&A. Thursday, July 31st 8-10pm.
- American Apparel, with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.