This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Mercedes-Benz. Check out the redesigned 2014 C-Class.
- Eileen Fisher, where simplicity and curiousity meet. New store now open on 113 South Robertson Boulevard, Los Angeles.
- The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County invites you to come explore our new Nature Gardens -- over 3 acres of trails and ponds, and where every plant, flower, and tree you see was planted to attract wildlife.
- The Natural History Museum Butterfly Pavilion. The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County invites you to come get up close with hundreds of butterflies in our Butterfly Pavilion. Tickets on sale now!
- Bite Size at the New NHM. Check out the spectacular 14,000 square feet Dinosaur Hall now open at the Natural History Museum. Tickets available online.
- Tanzy Artisinal Italian. Enjoy thoughtfully sourced and artfully prepared dishes for lunch, dinner, late-night dining or weekend brunch!
- United Dental Group. Dentist, plastic surgery, cosmetics and beauty supply to help you smile like you mean it!
- The Forum presented by Chase. Upcoming concerts include Kiss & Def Leppard, Aerosmith and Arcade Fire. Check out all the full event listing and purchase tickets today!
- American Apparel, with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
- How About We, for people who understand that you don't date online.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.