This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Thanks to This Week's Advertisers
We would like to take a moment to thank this week's advertisers on LAist.
- Mercedes-Benz . Check out the redesigned 2014 C-Class.
- Begin Again . Tag your favorite NYC spot and go to the 'Begin Again' premiere, in select theaters June 27th.
- The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County invites you to come explore our new Nature Gardens -- over 3 acres of trails and ponds, and where every plant, flower, and tree you see was planted to attract wildlife.
- The Natural History Museum Butterfly Pavilion . The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County invites you to come get up close with hundreds of butterflies in our Butterfly Pavilion. Tickets on sale now!
- Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra presents Bach and Mozart, Double Concertos. Saturday, May 17th and Sunday, May 18th.
- Santa Anita Park . Preakness Party on Saturday, May 17th featuring G. Love and Special Sauce. Buy tickets now!
- Tanzy Artisinal Italian. Enjoy thoughtfully sourced and artfully prepared dishes for lunch, dinner, late-night dining or weekend brunch!
- United Dental Group . Dentist, plastic surgery, cosmetics and beauty supply to help you smile like you mean it!
- American Apparel , with 18 stores in LA, you can look your best any time.
- How About We , for people who understand that you don't date online.
If you're interested in advertising on LAist or any other site in our network, check out our online mediakit .
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.