This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Saudi Prince Won't Face Felony Sexual Assault Charges
A Saudi prince who was arrested last month for allegedly forcing a woman to perform a sexual act at a mansion near Beverly Hills won't be facing any felony charges.
L.A. County prosecutors said there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute 29-year-old Majed Abdulaziz Al-Saud, whose rental home in a gated community in the hills north of Beverly Hills was where a woman was reported to be seen bleeding and scaling the walls of the property, the L.A. Times reports. LAPD officers responded to a call from a caretaker that there was a disturbance at the 22,000-square-foot home on Sept. 23, and arrested Al-Saud, booking him on suspicion of forced oral copulation of an adult. There were about 20 people at the mansion at the time, who were escorted out. Al-Saud was released on bail. Police believed there were other victims, and shortly after Al-Saud's arrest, three women sued him for assault and battery.
There's still a chance Al-Saud could face misdemeanor charges, though. His case was sent over to the L.A. City Attorney's Offfice, but they told the Times that they would first need to review the case before even considering filing charges.
Al-Saud's attorney, Alan Jackson, have refuted the sexual assault claims. "The allegations against him are false," he told the Times. "The decision by the D.A.'s office not to file charges shows that the accuser's stories cannot be substantiated. The sheik is very happy to put it behind him and move on with his life."
Days after Al-Saud's arrest, three woman filed a civil lawsuit claiming that he sexually assaulted them between Sept. 21 to 23, according to City News Service. They are asking for unspecified compensatory and punitive damages on allegations of assault and battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment, sexual harassment, sexual discrimination and retaliation. The lawsuit said they were "deprived of their freedom of movement by use of physical barriers, force, threats of force, menace, fraud, deceit and unreasonable duress."