San Diego Police Say This Man Is Attacking Homeless Men And Setting Them On Fire
San Diego police say someone is targeting homeless people in the area, killing two men and severely injuring two others in the last week alone.
Police have photos and videos of the alleged attacker, which they have been showing to local homeless people as they work to provide them with shelter, but they do not know his identity, the L.A. Times reports. San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said this man's "evil acts of violence are some of the worst I've seen in my 34 years in law enforcement."
The first attack happened on Sunday. The body of 53-year-old Angelo De Nardo was found in the 2700 block of Morena Blvd. just after 8 a.m. on Sunday morning. De Nardo had been injured in the torso, then set on fire. The next victim was Manuel Mason, 61, who was found injured in the 3700 block of Greenwood Street at 4:50 a.m. on Monday. Though his injuries were described as life-threatening, he is expected to survive. Just over an hour later at 6:10 a.m., the body of 41-year-old Shawn Longley was discovered in the 2500 block of Bacon Street. Longley had been beaten to death. A 23-year-old homeless man was found beaten in the 700 block of Kettner Blvd. on Wednesday at 5:08 a.m. A witness told the San Diego-Tribune that he was roused from his sleep when heard four or five loud bangs outside, "like a stick hitting a wall." He looked outside and saw a man spray something onto what he thought was a blanket on the ground before lighting it on fire. He then witnessed another man run up and pull the flaming material away, and that's when he realized a person was under the cloth.
"[The victim] didn't try and stop the man from putting him on fire, so he must have been unconscious," the witness said.
The young victim is not expected to survive his injuries.
Witnesses saw the first victim running next to Interstate 5 as he was on fire. Other witnesses saw a man running across the road holding a gas can, according to Fox 5.
Capt. David Nisleit says investigators are confident that all four attacks were carried out by the same person, CNN reports. All four men sustained severe injuries to their torsos, and two were set on fire. The attacker seems to be specifically targeting homeless men who are asleep and alone.
Police believe their suspect is a man between 30 and 50 years old. He was spotted wearing a brown jacket, a green hat, khaki pants and had a black backpack. Police believe he is the man that can be seen in the surveillance video below.