Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


5-Year-Old Forgot She Stuck A Safety Pin Up Her Nose For 6 Months

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

Here is a cautionary tale about sticking metal objects up your nose and then forgetting about them for six months.

Khloe Russell is a 5-year-old girl who lives in Hemet in Riverside County. For a six-month period that only recently came to an end, Russell was blowing her nose constantly, as mucus continually ran from one nostril.

"And," Russell's mother, Katelyn Powell, told ABC 7, "it stunk."

Every time Powell took her daughter to a doctor, the doctor determined Russell had a sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics, which didn't work.

Support for LAist comes from

"We even took her to the dentist because we thought it was her teeth," Powell said.

Finally, over the weekend, Powell's brother demanded Russell blow her "disgusting" nose. Russell did, and out came a 1.5-inch safety pin.

Russell explained that she was making a castle out of safety pins and put one of them up her nose, then forgot about it for six months. When doctors checked the little girl's nostril with a scope, they were unable to spot the object.

Russell, thankfully, has determined that her days of experimenting with sticking metal objects up her nose are over.

Bonus fact: A 50-year-old man from North Carolina discovered he had accidentally inhaled a jagged piece of a Wendy's fork, which then lodged in his lung. He spent two years feeling ill until doctors finally removed it in 2009.